New owner - a few questions please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

New owner - a few questions please

Post by michiganstar »

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2000 MY Z3 2.8 M52TU. I'm very pleased with the car so far but have a couple of issues and niggles which I have read loads on but seem to be no closer to an answer!!

So far I have machine polished it and given it two layers of CG Jetseal 109 followed by a layer of Sonax brilliant shine detailer so thats taken care of most of the paintwork. I need a NS front wing in silver as mine has corrosion to it, also I have bought some clear side indicators and put some Cree LED's in the side markers.
The car has had its calipers painted yellow by some cretin so I need to repaint them in silver asap!

The car had a P1523 code when I viewed it which is either going to be Vanos seals or if I am lucky an exhaust side CPS - it drives perfectly - I just need to find whether its an A or B code. How much would I be looking at for new seals etc and the work done - I am hoping less than £500

The car has a blue leather interior but I can find no information around it. The bolster is worn on the drivers side and I want it fixed but I have no idea what the colour is called to get the colour matched. Also the dash leather needs refitting as it has come out of its original seating place.

Plans so far are:
Fit clutch stop mod
Paint calipers
Full service
Red tint the amber on the rear lights
Change the cheap mats
Remove the tape player!!

If anyone has any other suggestions on mods etc (I have a strut brace on order) then that would be appreciated. Are there any Berkshire meets that are regular?

Lee
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New owner - a few questions please

Post by Brian H »

Hi Lee,

With reference to the seats, put you VIN in to the website below, it will give you a build list of your car when it was born. Hopefully it will have the interior colour for you.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

HTH

P.S. Welcome to the forum, nice car BTW :)
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

Thanks Brian. I searched and it came up with topaz blue/Oregon leather.
I did a fair bit of work yesterday resulting in the callipers being finished in hammerite smooth silver, passenger mirror base sanded and sprayed, rear lights tinted red at the top to remove the amber and the figment of a new stereo - I now need new speakers as the originals are woeful. Plenty of stuff left to do though.....
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I find that my 2.8 clutch requires the full travel, so the use of a clutch stop appears to be doubtful.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

If it's Topaz Blue leather get the scuffmaster kit. See my journal thread for results

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Welcome Lee to the Forum
A great place for new owners :rtm:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

mnbrennan wrote:If it's Topaz Blue leather get the scuffmaster kit. See my journal thread for results

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Already ordered it :) Your results are excellent BTW.
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I find that my 2.8 clutch requires the full travel, so the use of a clutch stop appears to be doubtful.
Interesting as mine doesnt - in fact it feels like there is an more than an inch (maybe 3) of useless extra travel - I'll fit it and feedback any difference it makes.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

michiganstar wrote:Hi All,

I just purchased a 2000 MY Z3 2.8 M52TU. I'm very pleased with the car so far but have a couple of issues and niggles which I have read loads on but seem to be no closer to an answer!!

The car has a blue leather interior but I can find no information around it. The bolster is worn on the drivers side and I want it fixed but I have no idea what the colour is called to get the colour matched. Also the dash leather needs refitting as it has come out of its original seating place.

Lee
Hi and welcome - yours is the only other Silver 2.8 M52TU with the blue extended leather that I've seen since getting mine in 2008.

I've used the Scufmaster dye on my dashboard and seat bolster and was well pleased with the result. Good luck with the dashboard leather :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

Fancy a trip to Berkshire to help with my leather? We must unite in the clitoris silver w topaz leather club :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

michiganstar wrote:We must unite in the clitoris silver w topaz leather club :)
Unite in the WHAT? :shock:

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...........ditto !!!! :shock:
and welcome too.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

Clit Silver - every c*nts got one :)

Thank you for the warm welcome gents.

Does every Z3 (we test drove a few) have a slight shunt between 1st to 2nd when cold or is that a bush/mount that is on its way out?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Your car is a facelift, so it will be Tit Silver - if it were clit silver, no man would ever find it in a car park. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, anyways.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Robert T wrote:Your car is a facelift, so it will be Tit Silver - if it were clit silver, no man would ever find it in a car park. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, anyways.

Cheers R.
:lol:

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Z3Jeremy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3Jeremy »

I,m sure you,ll feel very at home in yours...