Diagnostics Upgrade

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Diagnostics Upgrade

Post by colb »

Looking at upgrading my Diagnostics, I would have used BMTechnic but since they stopped trading have had to look elsewhere.

Now looking at this on offer from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnosti ... 461481d76e

Anyone else using this suppliers product?

Needs to work on my 1999 1.8, I have 20 pin under bonnet diagnostic socket and 16pin OBD socket under steering wheel.
I do know the 16pin OBD socket only reads certain items.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Diagnostics Upgrade

Post by XVar »

You can get it a lot cheaper if you buy the parts separately, you need a KKL USB OBD cable like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-GROUP-USB ... 3f1b0d351a

And a 20 pin to OBD cable like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Adapter-D ... 19e3874677

For a total of £16 this lets you use the BMW INPA software and access most of the modules - some require a different kind of cable (with an interface box I think?) so you might not be able to access things like the airbag module. It lets you view all the useful stuff like engine performance stats, alarm switch actuation, etc etc though.

The only difference between these cables and the £32 package you linked is you're paying £16 extra for some software that the guy doesn't have the right to sell in the first place - it's available with a bit of googling, and this thread has details on how to use it (ignore the part about resoldering parts of the cable - the one above is already wired like that).

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99 ... ds-t74608/
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Looking at getting some diagnostics gear myself.
Had anyone on here done as Xvar suggests and can share if it works?
I'm looking to read engine codes (to see if it's cam position sensor or another issue) and reset service lights after I service.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not certain if they are the same company, but BMWCables.co.uk are selling something remarkably similar to the BMTechnic solution.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

XVar wrote:............. access most of the modules - some require a different kind of cable (with an interface box I think?) so you might not be able to access things like the airbag module...........................
Agreed - I have the BM Technics kit and it cannot access Instrument Cluster without an ADS interface and serial port on my 98 but I recall it can on other model years. Robert T did start to compile a compatabilty table but I can't find the link at present.

Dino - you may still require a separate tool (or shorting wire) to reset service lights!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Thanks for he replies guys. I'll have to look more into this. The £16 solution suggete looks good just means more diddly software by the looks of it. Not sure of £50 solutions really offer much more (for a 98 Z3 2.8 as not that many toys to programme etc). Just want to do some DIY on simple engine issues.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My module accessibility spreadsheet can be found here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353834

The earlier cars have different electronics and require an ADS interface to access them (this is usually connected to a serial port of a PC and it needs to be a proper serial port and not a cheapo USB-to-serial adapter). Cars built after September 98 got various new modules which can be read using the BMTechnic USB interface and the 20-pin adapter cable - I think these are OBDII protocol compliant, but are still read through the 20-pin round diagnostics connector. On later cars still, with the under-dash OBDII you still need to use the 20-pin socket as only the engine module seems to be accessible from the OBDII port.

In theory I could buy an ADS interface and use the same software to work with older zeds. This may not be a bad idea, as I do have an old laptop with a serial port on it that I might be able to get working again (the backlight has packed up).

BTW The BMTechnic DVD contains a pile of other software than INPA - there are various tools for coding and such that I have not had the time to try yet and a couple of Virtual Machine images as well.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc