a bit worrying

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

a bit worrying

Post by Mugs »

i got my Z3 1.9 out of the garage on Friday and put it through the MOT which it passes 1st time so today i though i would wash it and get it ready for the road again.
i have done a lot of service work over the winter but i hadn't changed the plugs so today after the wash i thought i would change them.
i took off the HT leads and found the 2 spark plug pots nearest the radiator were swimming in black oil. i have mopped out the pots so they are now dry but i just want to know if there is a known problem with the 1.9 (m44?) engine where oil get into the plug pots or is it just where someone has been careless in the past and split the oil when topping up / changing?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: a bit worrying

Post by Del »

Might be previous careless spillage but as it was black it also sounds like it might be a leak from the rocker cover. You may need to replace the rubber gasket kit - not a serious job but perhaps a little fiddly.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, rocker cover gasket. Pretty easy and nothing to worry about too much.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Agree with the others - about to change my head cover profile gasket this weekend as it is leaking but down the outer side not into plugs.
While at it will change parts 5,6,7,9,10 &12 on this http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=15. Cost just under £50 for all of them.
TIS says you have to apply a film of drie bond to underside of profile gasket.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Sounds like the rocker cover gasket to me. Just changed my sons on his fiat punto as he had sitting oil in the plug pots. It did cure the problem and was a cheap and easy fix. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

ok, that's not too bad then, i'll get the parts ordered. thanks for your help.