Thrust bearing replacement cost?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Thrust bearing replacement cost?

Post by russg84 »

Looking at buying a z3 with a noisy thrust bearing, looks like its quite a common fault on them.

Any idea on how much it costs to repair or replace the bearing? is there any giveaway for a particularly bad one? can it be done quite easily?

Cheers

Russ
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Thrust bearing replacement cost?

Post by Southernboy »

Remove exhaust, propshaft, and gearbox....replace thrust bearing and replace all the removed parts....aprox 4 - 5 hrs labour + parts...?? :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I would probably replace complete clutch assembly and not just the thrust bearing if going to the trouble of removing gearbox!
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by russg84 »

I've never replaced a clutch before, so taking it on is a bit daunting.

Are there any instructions with pictures on this forum on how to replace it? I'd like to take it on myself but don't want to risk doing anymore damage. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it? :shock:

How much would I expect to pay for labour if someone else was to do it?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

It's not that complicated from a technical point of view - it's just undoing stuff in the right order then putting it back together. But, you'll be removing the gearbox, so you'll be under the car trying to manoeuvre a pretty large and heavy bit of the car. It's a physically difficult job more than anything.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

russg84 wrote:I've never replaced a clutch before, so taking it on is a bit daunting.

Are there any instructions with pictures on this forum on how to replace it? I'd like to take it on myself but don't want to risk doing anymore damage. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it? :shock:

How much would I expect to pay for labour if someone else was to do it?
Have a look at this to get an idea of what's involved http://adkusters.hobby-site.com/TIS%20d ... clutch.pdf

EDIT : Sorry you will have to jump to other pages to see associated work - I think Haynes manual covers it if you have access to a copy.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You will need some assistance, jacks, and enough clearance under the car to remove the gearbox from undeer the car to do a replacement job. I had my 2.8 clutch replaced a couple of years ago and although it probably bears little relationship to costs there, I paid £.200.00 including labour. Perhaps phone a few reputable shops and ask what their charges will be to do the job for you. I agree that since you're opening up the clutch, you may as well replace the clutch plate too. They aren't very expensive, and at least you will know you have a clutch for the next 10+ years... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by russg84 »

Thanks for the invaluable advice guys. This forum is so informative!! - I'm gonna have a go at this myself I think, I'll let you all know how it goes :oops: I might take some photos / videos while I'm doing it to post onto the forum.

It may take me a few weeks to get parts delivered etc, do you think it will be okay to drive around in the meantime? There's no risk of the gearbox being scattered across the m25 on the way home is there? lol

I've got some other plans for the car so undoubtedly, I shall be seeking some more brilliant advice from you all in the coming months :dunce:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It's not as simple as just unbolt and bolt back on.

You need to set the thrust on the propshaft. IIRC the setting is 10mm, but TIS / Bentley / Haynes will tell you the measurement and how to set it.

You should also replace the propshaft bolts and nuts, but not many people would do this.

I made a transmission support as it is awkward getting the balance point without one.
Pingu