Roof leaking....help!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Roof leaking....help!

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi, I've just washed the car to discover water is getting in at both corners of the windscreen where it meets the tops of the quarter lights on both sides. It's then running down the inside of both driver and passenger windows. I hope this makes sense.
Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Roof leaking....help!

Post by Jonco »

The usual suspects are the triangular plugs at the top of the A frame - have alook at this http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36095

To check open the top and squeeze plugs - if they ooze then there is your problem. Also check drain holes are clear at either end of channel.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Lovely, thanks for the reply, I'll have a look tomorrow after work, the water is sitting in the drainage shoots, does that sound right with what the link is saying?? :)

Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Davejue1 wrote:Lovely, thanks for the reply, I'll have a look tomorrow after work, the water is sitting in the drainage shoots, does that sound right with what the link is saying?? :)
Once you open the top and look at the channel and plugs if should be obvious if that is the problem. You will see in the thread that some people apply patches - my personal opinion is that the original adhesive seal has lasted ~15 years so just re-seal them. I dried mine out with a hairdryer (what else) and re-sealed the plugs with a black silicone rubber sealant (Halfords) that was 4 years ago ( Imay regret syaing that when it next rains!).

You should also regulary treat the rubber to keep it in good condition - Gummi pflege is the usual recommendation.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Ok. Thanks again, I'll let you know. Fingers crossed! :)

Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

The Jonco method worked for me.

You'll be surprised at the length of the plugs - a good couple of inches long.
Take them out by peeling around the edges - don't use anything that will damage the joint.
A good clean and new sealant does the trick.

It's a strange detail!

If it has been leaking for a while I would check under the carpets, dry out if necessary.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Mike, the car is kept under a carport and only used in dry weather (unless caught out!) so the carpets are good but thanks for the knees up. I'll be looking at it tonight so hopefully will be all sorted. I need to get it cracked off as I'm going on the Derbyshire cruise on Sunday and the weather is touch and go, and I don't think the good lady will appreciate swimming around in the car! :)

Cheers
Dave

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks Brian. That link is really clear and easy to follow. Totally understand now what to do and why it's failed in the first place. :)

Cheers
Dave

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have removed the long grommets from both corners of the windscreen and cleaned them up, there was moisture in the rubber but nothing significant. There was a small break in the seal on both sides so assume this is the route of the leaks. I went to the shed to get the silicone to discover I haven't got any so I shall finish the job tomorrow. :)