Petrol smell

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Petrol smell

Post by Koolflyer »

The last couple of times I've been out with top down, there has been a marked smell of petrol whilst stationary and on the move. There are no apparent signs of a leak, although perhaps it's vaporising before hitting the deck, hence the smell. Anyone got any ideas, or has this happened to you? :shrug
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Petrol smell

Post by Del »

Rubber washer on the fuel cap broken, missing or badly degraded. I've replaced my 1998 one.

The rubber fuel hose is high quality and should be OK - section at fuel tank, sections either side of fuel filter, section entering engine bay and small section by fuel rail (probably a metre in total). The jubilee clips are also high quality stainless steel and should be OK.

The O-rings on the injectors can degrade and cause slight leakage (smell)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Only time I ever smelt petrol was on the one occaision I didn't close the fuel cap correctly...and since it's literally right of your right ear, it's the closest possible place fumes can escape and be detected... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

First of all check that the drainage hole is clear at the bottom of the rubber gaitor that surrounds the filler cap. If is blocked it can retail a small amount of fuel and cause the smell. Carefully poke the hole with a cocktail still or similar. Worked on mine.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ok Tks guys.....thats given me a place to start, fuel filler cap washer first..esp . as it does seem very noticeable in the drivers position. I'll report back. Cheers
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It's probably the drain pipe, but check for stains underneath by the fuel filter as the unions if the filter has been replaced.

If you have access to compressed air, blow some low pressure air down the pipe. It's exit is attatched to the side of the fuel tank and is visible from in front of the RHR wheel.
Pingu
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ummmm. I could give you aload of bull***t right now, but I've always told my kids to put your hands up and be honest! So you can guess what's coming next :oops: SB was right, when I came in off nights I checked the filler cap and some idiot hadn't done it up properly.......ME!

Thanks anyway, now I'm off to hide :dunce:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

The only time I smelt petrol was after I had put petrol in the tank and as I removed the petrol filler there must have been a small amount of fuel was put into the rubber surround of the filler. As the drain hole was blocked there was no where for the fuel to go and hence the smell. Once cleaned out everything was fine.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Koolflyer wrote:Ummmm. I could give you aload of bull***t right now, but I've always told my kids to put your hands up and be honest! So you can guess what's coming next :oops: SB was right, when I came in off nights I checked the filler cap and some idiot hadn't done it up properly.......ME!

Thanks anyway, now I'm off to hide :dunce:

at least it wasnt a smell of diesel ..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

gookah wrote:

at least it wasnt a smell of diesel ..... :D
.......now if it were the smell of burnt jet fuel, I wouldn't have been complaining :D