Z3M Driving Experience

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3M Driving Experience

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hi all,

I hope to be moving into the M owners club soon.. but was wondering what people's driving experiences are like when it comes to a Z3M. I have never driven a Z3m, but have driven an E92 M3 and an M6.

- What are the major differences compared to a regular 6 cylinder (besides performance)
- What is the handling like compared to more modern cars?
- Are there many weak points which require modification? (strut bar/brakes etc.)
- How can the ride be compared with an E46 M3?
- What are the major faults which can cost €€€ (no pound sign on my Keyboard :D)
- The weld points in the boot - what does this fault incur? (does the car start to fall apart!)
- Where is the traction control (off) button on an S50!

Thanks for your replies!
Last edited by Wolverine_1999 on Fri 25 Apr, 2014 14:49, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

M roadster S54

Re: Z3M Driving Experience

Post by Phil »

Simple answer to the last point - there is no traction control on the S50.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Phil wrote:Simple answer to the last point - there is no traction control on the S50.
Haha that is brilliant. On the S54 there is?
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

- What are the major differences compared to a regular 6 cylinder (besides performance)
The suspension set up is unique to the M, less tramlining, less understeer.
It depends what you define as good handling - without major changes it's not ideal for track work - quite a lot of body roll, a bit soft. For fast road work I find it ideal, the roll gives a very good feel for breakaway, the softer suspension means higher safe cornering speeds on our poorly surfaced roads. Tyres are critical - the right choice means safe handling wet and dry, with easily caught slides :shock: :shock: Buy a set of winter tyres and go looking for snow and ice for the best fun ever! :lol: :lol:
- Are there many weak points which require modification? (strut bar/brakes etc.)
Needs a front strut bar, front polybushes, better brake pads and rear top strut mounts. Improved by better roll bars (H&R). Needs the front of the seats raising by 20mm or so.
The suspension is quite different, but in standard from the ride is quite good for a sports car.
- What are the major faults which can cost €€€ (no pound sign on my Keyboard :D)
Vanos repair is about £900 - probably once every 100k miles. Don't buy one with the boot weld problem, or you could be looking at a big bill :( :( Nothing much else - I've done 80k miles in mine, just the Vanos.
- The weld points in the boot - what does this fault incur? (does the car start to fall apart!)
Check out the history - has it been repaired? If not check the boot spot welds, and have a look at the diff brackets underneath. You should be able to find a good one without the problem.
I bought the S50 rather than the S54 specifically because it doesn't have traction control. I've not missed it in nine years of M ownership. :twisted: :twisted:
Good luck with your search. Once you get hooked it's very addictive!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

M ownership = Miles of smiles !!!!!!! :D

For the money there's no other car id rather have..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Hi all,

I hope to be moving into the M owners club soon.. but was wondering what people's driving experiences are like when it comes to a Z3M. I have never driven a Z3m, but have driven an E92 M3 and an M6.

Thanks for your replies!
It might be a shock coming from an M6 and a tight E92 M3. The ride is pretty comfortable as the suspension is quite soft for an M Car. The standard handling is adequate but might be a huge contrast from the E92 M3. Understeer when pushed is quite noticeable but these cars are transformed with suspension changes.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mike123 wrote:
Needs a front strut bar, front polybushes, better brake pads and rear top strut mounts. Improved by better roll bars (H&R).
I have all of those except the polybushes. I have H&R roll bars front and rear, great improvement but.........be aware the the rear droplink mounts on the trailing arm aren't good enough for the H&R's, I've had both of mine rewelded. The brackets can be made stronger. The floor mounts aren't much better, I've had one of those rewelded.

The thing with traction control is.......... you can turn it off ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I recently upgraded from a 2.0l 6 cylinder to an M and I would agree with all the other comments - everyone advises to buy one that has had the vanos and boot welds done. Beyond that, ensure it doesnt sound like a bag of spanners - sounds obvious but its true. My friend races E30's & E36's and loves these engines. He will buy one just on the sound if it purrs gently.

I cant comment on suspension changes, but I find the suspension on mine to be fine. When you say "compared with modern cars" you have to be specific. I have a A5 Quattro which is an absolute dream to drive - 200 times more comfortable and smooth than the Z3M - however, I wouldn't swap them. The A5 is a dream company car for the miles I do and can beat most things off the line. The Z3M is fun fun fun - it actually feels like I have been driving where as the A5 feels like I have been in a spa.

Beyond that the only other comment I have (and I am probably in the minority) is that to fully appreciate it you have to drive it as it should be driven.... I find myself driving it like I do my 2.0l - around 2000 revs :roll: which is daft for a 321 bhp car (with no traction control) I know. I think this is also backed up by the "running in" advise for these cars, where as most cars get an reserved advise when new (egof not going over 60 or 3500 revs initially) - the M (according to a post on here recently) apparently has the advise of not going over 100 mph or 5500-6000 rpm (which I thought was quite high).

The only other thing to mention is the running costs, apart from the obvious reduced MPG and higher insurance - these cars need quite a bit of yearly TLC, whether used or not. I am hoping someone will be along shortly to tell you what needs doing to them yearly.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

bertiejaffa wrote:I recently upgraded from a 2.0l 6 cylinder to an M and I would agree with all the other comments
I did the same, and the s50 is a he'l of an engine. Check the vanos and boot welds are good, and no noisy sounds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The S50 bites if you are not gentle with the throttle, especially when the revs are high. A "normal" car at 6000rpm is gasping for air when you press the throttle, an S50 will still kick you in the back and spin you off if you floor it too quickly.

The car is really good if you can keep your emotions under control, and whatever you do don't say "Watch This" to any passengers :D .

I suggest annual oil & filter change and inspection services as per the lights on the dash. Use the annual MOT/TUV as a chance to give it a good check underneath for anything out of the ordinary.

When it is MOT'd, make sure to tell the tester that it has an LSD and locking one wheel on the rolling road may damage the diff. This may or may not be true, but better to be safe than sorry. The tester should be happy as it gives them an excuse for a test drive to test the brakes :) .
Pingu
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thanks for your replies everyone! Its definitely a good starting point to begin my search :)
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

pingu wrote:The S50 bites if you are not gentle with the throttle, especially when the revs are high. A "normal" car at 6000rpm is gasping for air when you press the throttle, an S50 will still kick you in the back and spin you off if you floor it too quickly.

The car is really good if you can keep your emotions under control, and whatever you do don't say "Watch This" to any passengers :D ..
I'm sorry but I get quite upset at comments such as this, which IMHO give an inaccurate impression of the Z3M's handling, which after 80k quck miles in all conditions, I believe to be exactly right for a keen driver. The understeer is easily countered by late entry to corners, the oversteer is predictable and controllable as long as you don't brake or back off suddenly.

Driven accurately the grins per mile exceed any other car I've driven.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The car requires the throttle to be applied sensibly. If you are used to driving a car whose throttle does not respond instantly at all revs, you will be in for a unpleasant surprise.

IS THAT BETTER?
Pingu
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

No need to shout :wink:

Peace - I agree with you.:sunny

I'm a great advocate of learning the limits of the car (and yourself) on skid pans, track days, or anywhere safe to do so before going anywhere near the limits on a public highway, then there's no unpleasant surprises.

I'm convinced tyres are the key for the Z3M - a good quality matched set with plenty of tread is fundamental to safe fast driving, particularly in the wet. I'm a big fan of Falcon 453s.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Mike123 wrote:No need to shout :wink:

Peace - I agree with you.:sunny

I'm a great advocate of learning the limits of the car (and yourself) on skid pans, track days, or anywhere safe to do so before going anywhere near the limits on a public highway, then there's no unpleasant surprises.

I'm convinced tyres are the key for the Z3M - a good quality matched set with plenty of tread is fundamental to safe fast driving, particularly in the wet. I'm a big fan of Falcon 453s.
I WASN'T SHOUTING :lol: .

I agree with trackdays being a great way to explore the limits.

I had great fun at Donington in the dry and explored the limits controllably. I did another trackday in the wet and had even more fun as I piroetted onto the grass several times.

In the wet, I'd be at around 5-6000 revs and just 250 more was enough to initate a spin that sent me off. There's no way I would drive it on the road like I did on the track.

That said, I did say to my missus "You need to be careful and make sure you are straight before you give it the beans", we then fish-tailed up a dual carriageway at 80+ in 3rd. Thank God I didn't say "Watch This" :D .
Pingu