water/steam leak and fan bent.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
colliemcc

Z3 roadster 1.8

water/steam leak and fan bent.

Post by colliemcc »

Hi
I had just pulled into the driveway and seen steam come from under the bonnet. When I opened it I could hear water leaking. I then noticed the fan all bent and the left side rubbing against the radiator.
Has my water pumped failed? Is that what the fan is bolted to.
See pictures attached
Thanks

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: water/steam leak and fan bent.

Post by Brian4 »

Sorry to say it is either the water pump or the viscous coupling which is attached to the big nut you can see. Both will need changing now and have a good look round for any other damage to the radiator and hoses. It also looks as if the shroud around the fan is missing as well.

Looks as if you had a lucky escape before other bits were damaged if the fan self destructed, whilst it is all apart change the thermostat and check the belts and tensioners.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
colliemcc

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by colliemcc »

I ordered the water pump today.
What other bits do i need to get. Will order a new fan tomorrow, what's the man of the other bit I need.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Viscous fan coupling

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/coolin ... fan-clutch

might as well do the thermostat as well as it is all apart for the water pump. Not sure which engine you have whether you need just the thermostat or the housing for it as well. I think the 2.8 you can change the thermostat but the other 6 cylinder engines need the combined stat and housing. don't forget the antifreeze.

There should also be a shroud around the fan

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=17&fg=05

Here's a diagram of the cooling system

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?m ... g=11&fg=35

Hope you get it sorted soon.

There are some articles in the knowledge base regarding the water pump and thermostat change.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
colliemcc

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by colliemcc »

Hi mines the 2.0 l 6 cylinder model.

Thanks for your help

Colm
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Just had the same thing which is a pity as it was next on my schedule to replace after the suspension shocks. Luckily it broke only 100 yds from the house on the way home. Lots of grating noises. I Managed to get the old pump out with no special tool for the viscous coupling. Seems the front of the water pump has failed leaving the fan to flop about and lose all its fins!
New parts ordered online, should be here in a couple of days. As I have the radiator out it will get a flush through, new belts, new hoses. Also Ill change the thermostat since the car is in bits at the front. No excuse for me now to crack on and change the front shocks and springs and all the bushes. Might as well since the car is going nowhere. Just as well the season has finished today for us hiring out boats. Plenty of time. I might even give the old girl a wash and polish.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

That's a shame Mike. I assume from your comment 'flushing the radiator' that the rad survived without too much damage. Hope you are back on the road again soon. Might be worth changing the tensioner pulleys at the same time but they have been modified since the cars were built.

I changed them on ours recently but couldn't get just the pulley for the serpentine belt so had to change the whole tensioner. The fixings are totaly different between the two but the block is drilled to accept the modified tensioner.

New tensioner on left old on right.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the info on the tensioner. Rad is totally intact. Fan hitting pulleys seems to have done the damage to the fan. Lucky really. Total cost for pump, viscous bit and fan was only 130 UKP including delivery to France. Will be here is a couple of days. Easy fix really. I need to give the engine a wash as well as it is covered in antifreeze. Should be back on the road next week at the latest. Have to bum about in the landrover for a bit.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I did lift the bearing seal on the tensioner pulley bearings first and pushed some high melting point grease in which worked on the aircon pulley but the serpentine pulley was still a bit noisy and that's why I changed it. Worth trying though and the pulley unbolts from the tensioner when you lift off the plastic cover.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i