Where to store z3 tonneau cover?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Where to store z3 tonneau cover?

Post by deni2s »

Someone today asked me, how to fit the tonneau cover inside the trunk. He saw this picture and looking at part #4 thought that there should be some fittings inside the trunk.

I don't know how others, who are using tonneau cover, but I usually just keep it inside the trunk (when soft-top is closed). It's ok, if the trunk is empty, but it's pain in the ass if you have something in the trunk (for example some bag or anything). You always need the thing which is bellow (no matter - bag or cover).

How cool would be if the cover could be fitted to the trunk lid? It will always be easy accessible on top when trunk lid is open and it will not cover anything else. What do you think about that? Would that be possible (I am not near the car at the moment to check if that is possible)? Where are you storing your cover if you are taking in with you?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Where to store z3 tonneau cover?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think the picture is just explaining how to fold it - I'm not aware of any fittings. For storage I do what most people do - leave it in the garage!
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Storage: In a plastic bag on a shelf in the garage. Out of the way. It is a pesky thing. :head: Ci
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I have heard of people storing them behind the seats in the space when the soft top is up
It an be done but fiddly
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Ci wrote:Storage: In a plastic bag on a shelf in the garage. Out of the way. It is a pesky thing. :head: Ci
Not an option for me anymore. As I care more about how my car looks and I am attending some local car shows and car meets I am using the cover because with it the car has much cleaner look.

Put it behind the seats is not an option for me as the seats are folded back so that there is not enough space without sacrificing the seat position.

Ok, looks like I am the only one who is actually using here tonneau cover.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I use mine. You are not alone!! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Mine goes in the boot, when the roof is up, and that includes when the car in the garage. The previous owners lived in a rural area and kept the cover in their garage. They were mortified to find the mice had attacked it when the got it out to hand over with the car. The top looks fine but the fabric and foam underneath have several holes.

Does anybody have experience of putting the tonneau in place before fitting the hardtop? The wings would need to stay folded but are there any other issues?
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

deni2s wrote:
Ci wrote:Storage: In a plastic bag on a shelf in the garage. Out of the way. It is a pesky thing. :head: Ci
Not an option for me anymore. As I care more about how my car looks and I am attending some local car shows and car meets I am using the cover because with it the car has much cleaner look.

Put it behind the seats is not an option for me as the seats are folded back so that there is not enough space without sacrificing the seat position.

Ok, looks like I am the only one who is actually using here tonneau cover.
Not directly behind the seat, in the space the soft top goes
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Just got mine on at every opportunity. look superb
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I use mine too, easy to put on & off once you've done it a few times. Makes the car look much nicer.
I store it folded in the boot, which is where I think it's supposed to be kept.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

lebigmec wrote:I use mine too, easy to put on & off once you've done it a few times. Makes the car look much nicer.
I store it folded in the boot, which is where I think it's supposed to be kept.
Hi lebigmec and you all. In deed this is an interesting question but unfortunately there is no real and beneficial alternative to having it in the boot space as-is intended. The Tenax Fasteners can be difficult to apply securely and this is often indicative of the female part of the two-part item being worn and weak.
They are a readily available replacement/service item from Motor Trimmers Suppliers (Segal in Manchester) is i but one of many.
As for fitting the tonneau cover to the underside of the boot/trunk lid - it is a No No simply because the lid is not as wide as the space that it occupies in the boot/trunk. Bending the wings in further would risk compromising the natural position for the folds.
The whole purpose of the tonneau cover is to keep out the muck and rubbish that would get into the otherwise open and vulnerable space. The cosmetic value of it is a double bonus.
For those of you that have the Mohair Hood all year round then perhaps for the winter inside ( the home) storage would be an option and thus freeing up some space in the boot/trunk. I have just been very very lucky and secured a matching hardtop complete with fitting and trolley from a very very nice forum member - more about that in a new topic later.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
692DPG

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 692DPG »

I always use mine - it finishes the car look off with the hood down. I store it in the boot at all times which is ok for me as it's not my main car.
1997 (R) BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - weekender
Hell Red/Imola Red/Black Z3M leather - 2 door, manual
2005 (55) Porsche 997 C4S 3.8 - man-o-porsche
Arctic Silver/Black leather - 2 door, manual
2017 (67) BMW M140i - daily
White/Black leather - 3 door, manual
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Interesting subject I attended the BMW on the lawns at Western Supermare today and the very same debate started I think the best idea is what Boyise has written, this was also mention at the meat,
I like to use my cover when ever the tops down it definitely finishes of the look of the car but when you're away for the weekend and the boot is full, I usually leave it at home in the garage as storage is tight as we know, I will try storing it behind the seats were the roof folds into when it's down, hope this works it will sort out a huge problem for me.

Bazza
Bazza (East Dorset)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I just bought a tonneau cover for mine, and found that one of the mounting studs on the car was loose.

It was behind the roll hoop, and would not tighten. What a job to replace the captive clip behind! Centre console partially out, roll hoops off, storage compartment lid, then the L/R side plastic trims between that and the hood frame mountings, the compartment itself, then (finally) the plastic framework that holds the captive clip, that the stud screws into......
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I've had 2 Zs for about 13 years in total and a tonneau cover with each. I think I've used them twice and my current one is stored in the garage on the top shelf where it belongs.
I do agree that it tidies up the rear when in place but if it rains you'll be soaked before you get the roof up and if you have luggage you have no chance.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No, there are no retaining straps in the boot. The ends of the tonneau tuck into the elastic straps on the back of the tonneau itself.

As to where to store it... mine has lived in my loft for the last 15 years and been on the car precisely once just to see what it looked like. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It seems to be a contender for the biggest waste of money on a Z3. I have several contenders (but that's for another thread).

Re, the question. I would look at getting a boot cover that is fitted to an M (they just clip in). Adapt it to either have a net (like the luggage net in the passenger footwell) or some straps.

Check RealOEM to see what's available, then go down to your local salvage dealer to see how cheap you can get it.
Pingu
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:As for fitting the tonneau cover to the underside of the boot/trunk lid - it is a No No simply because the lid is not as wide as the space that it occupies in the boot/trunk. Bending the wings in further would risk compromising the natural position for the folds.
Checked that on weekend and figured out that it is still "maybe", not "No No". I don't see bending wings further as a problem. I already imagined, that cover could be fitted under the lid with same mounting studs and maybe few additional straps for easier fitting.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

deni2s wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:As for fitting the tonneau cover to the underside of the boot/trunk lid - it is a No No simply because the lid is not as wide as the space that it occupies in the boot/trunk. Bending the wings in further would risk compromising the natural position for the folds.
Checked that on weekend and figured out that it is still "maybe", not "No No". I don't see bending wings further as a problem. I already imagined, that cover could be fitted under the lid with same mounting studs and maybe few additional straps for easier fitting.
Hi deni2s. I have also looked closer at the possibility and I personally stick to what I first concluded. If the wings are pushed further towards the central position the become difficult to move because of the tightening of the bend at each end. The tonneau cover would need to be tied with a belt or strap with Velcro fastenings to keep the then reduced size from springing open. This also results in the overall thickness increasing and therefore it would hang lower in the boot space. The real issue is the side to side distance between the rubber protective edge/weather seal on the boot-space edge.
If it was fitted into a dedicated/purpose made bag I doubt that it would be any more beneficial in reducing and containing the size to then drop into the opening that is the perimeter edge of the boot.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

The reason I started to think about it is that when cover is in the boot, it's big enough, so mostly I place other things (bags, box with bulbs, knife, forks, and other small things which are usually in the car) on top of it. So it's hard to take the cover if I need it. If in case of some rain I need to remove the cover, then I place it on top of other things and then again it's impossible to take these things without taking the cover out of the boot. So not very comfortable. I will check again later, how and if fitting to boot lid could work.