BMW Z3 A PERSONAL REVIEW.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BMW Z3 A PERSONAL REVIEW.

Post by Southernboy »

It's all very well reading other people's comments about the Z3, so I thought it would be interesting to start a thread of members reviews. What's required is an honest appraisal of your driving / ownership experience of the car, how long you've owned / driven the Z3 . Obviously since you own and drive one, you may be a little biased towards the positive, but it's important to also mention the negatives since these are considerations with any vehicle.

I have owned and driven a Z3 as a daily for over 12 years. In that time it has been a mostly reliable car with only the expected maintenance items requiring attention. (Brakes, tyres, drive belts and servicing consumables). The two items which weren't regular maintenance items were a new clutch kit and a new radiator. Mechanically the motor is possibly one of the best features of the Z3. It is a smooth well balanmced unit which delivers better than average power but isn't the quickest. More a roadster / cruiser than a racer type car which probably accounts for it's endurance.
Window power mechanisms and the mounting inside the doors is a little flimsy and tend to break down and because the window channeling isn't very well thought out, the windows tend to jam with age. The welds to which the winding mechanism is attached are weak and eventually these will split. The general interior is easy to clean and tidy up in spite of the confines in some areas like the soft top well. The lack of padding on the doorcard armrests is a pain in the elbows as is the lack of an OEM center armrest. The steering wheel could have been somewhat smaller diameter too. Instrumentation is typical BMW layout and adequate and accessible. The glove box might have been better designed to allow more than the weekly accounts to be stored there.
The simple bolt on design of the bodywork makes parts maintenance and replacement easy enough for the average DIY enthusiast as does the steering, drivetrain and suspension components.
Some body parts might have been better made from plastics vs alloys - door mirrors specifically. But overall the materials used are of a good quality and with average maintenance will last.
The soft top is adequate, but one might have anticipated an auto open / close system which doesn't require manual assistance. Small items like console and instrumentation lighting seem to have a 6 month half life... easy enough to replace, but as with the aircon controls can be bothersome. Water leaks are common with age, but are fairly easily resolved.
Performance and road handling is an exciting and satisfying experience although the seats could have had some extra padding for longer journeys. I have a slim cushion under my butt just for that reason. It handles well in wet or dry conditions within normal driving style. As with any car it can be pushed beyond it's abilities especially with the traction controls switched off.
Parts are generally available in the new, 2nd hand or aftermarket sources, but can be pricey.
I rate the Z3 at 9/10 as an all-rounder open top two seater.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: BMW Z3 A PERSONAL REVIEW.

Post by lightning »

I am going to review my 3.0 M Sport as a 12 year old sports car, available in mint condition for under £6,000 or if you don't mind a bit of work, half that amount.

Looked at in this way, l think it is a superb car, well made, reliable and fairly resistant to corrosion.
Performance is exceptional, and the 3.0 will waste any MGF or MX5, leaving them rasping weakly from the exhaust. The interior is a nice place to be, as long as care is taken with colour choice....there are some fairly obscure colour combinations. Handling is very good up to a point, l have to say it's unlikely l will ever explore the limits of the 231bhp available on this version. Taken at less than 100% it is predictable enough, although there is a bit of scuttle shake over bad roads.

I owned a 1997 2.8 a few years ago, and that was also a great car. I have to say though, that the "sports" seats in the M Sport version are a lot better than the standard seats.

Parts availability is excellent, with pretty much everything still available new, if you are prepared to pay for it. Many of the body panels bolt on, so repairs to minor damage are simple.

There are a couple of known issues, such as failing differential mountings under the boot floor, but repair costs have become reasonable.

The running costs are not too bad, fuel economy is in the range 25-30 mpg which is not bad for the power available.
Last edited by lightning on Tue 08 Jul, 2014 14:14, edited 3 times in total.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

My 2.8 auto facelift was my first ever 'sports' car and my first experience in open top motoring. I had always wanted to have a £5k weekend car to tinker with when I retired but didn't want an old MG or similar as parts may be scarce or expensive and there are other issues such as rust etc. Cost wise there were only really 3 cars that were in the running, an MGF, MX5 and the Z3 and fortunately my friend had owned this car 8 years and had being a very careful and meticulous owner. Those of you who have see her on the Kent cruises will know that she is a very fine original low mileage example and we shook hands and agreed that I would buy the car when I retired in 2016. However, because of some cash flow problems my friend had to sell the car in 2013 so I ripped his arm off.

So having owned the car for 18 months this is my overview.

Lets look at the downsides first, okay my first complaint is the seats, they look nice but boy do I find them uncomfortable on long journeys... and that's about it! Oh, and apart from the fact that my LSD diff is slightly noisy at low speeds... but I know will last for many years to come and at the end of the day I can get a secondhand one for £200 which is of course peanuts. Oh and then there's the sound system!

But here we have a car that has been build around a very powerful, extremely reliable tried and tested straight 6 engine with shedloads of torque which in turn is mated to a beautiful silky smooth automatic gearbox and the car would literally drive up the side of a house in 4th gear. It is built not for racing, but for all day roof down cruising (but not the seats). The design is very retro and sexy and in many ways timeless, it just looks good from every angle. It is, in my eyes, a modern version of the TR6.

And there is so much you can do to personalise them to your own taste if you so wish.

Spares are plentiful and on the whole cheap, at the moment well priced secondhand parts are widely available as older or neglected cars are broken (so I've started stockpiling parts likely to break or fail whilst they are cheap) and many of the jobs can be done by the owner or a friend who is a bit of a hobby mechanic.

As an owner you have to accept that if a car is 15 or so years old then some of the fixtures and fittings will wear out or simply deteriorate with age but that is part of the course. Interior trim, window mechanisms, rubber seals, bulbs, switches, softop window.. but hey, that's what I wanted the car for... to tinker with in the dark cold long winter months!

So here we have an extremely reliable engine and transmission sharing a lot of parts with the 3 series, and a very practical body that has lots of bolt on panels. There are clearly many jobs that are fairly easy for the owner to carry out and owners also have access to an almost endless supply of secondhand parts and enjoy support of members of forums like this one.

My car isn't perfect but it is full of character, and whilst it might have the odd rattle or a bit of tramlining it just looks so good and feels so nice to cruise around in with the roof down on a sunny day.

In a moment of weakness I did consider selling my Z3 and getting a Z4 but it then dawned on me that I would miss the big personality and huge character that this little gem of a car has...
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A Z3 2.8 EXPERIENCE Mike Fishwick

I hadn’t really thought about owning a Z3 – or any BMW car at all – until, as a member of the BMW Club (motorcycles) I was invited to attend the BMW Car Club’s first Oktoberfest at Silverstone.

So it was that I drove a 1.9 litre Z3, finding that it was a car I liked, being small, with roller-skate type handling, good performance, and an excellent driving position, combined with an attractive blend of practicality, build quality and equipment levels. My wife liked the Z3 immensely – at one stage I thought I would have to break her fingers in order to get her out of the car!

After a little research it was clear that the 1999-on 2.8 litre M52TU engine offered several advantages over its predecessor. It also offers slightly improved power, torque and fuel consumption – by courtesy of its double-VANOS camshaft control, DISA variable-configuration inlet manifold system, and small-bore idle air inlet passages. Like all Z3 engines, It is fitted with dry liners rather than the sometimes problematical Nicasil bores.
I had also developed a marked preference for the shape of the original (pre-2000 model) rear wings, which appear to have been dragged outwards over the tyres, as on the Porsche 911.

I would clearly have to look for a good 1999-model car at the right price, fitted with air conditioning and seventeen-inch wheels, eventually finding one at a local BMW dealer, which had covered 13,000 miles in eighteen months.

The Red Zed and I have since covered a further 100,000 miles, the only real problems being confined to a new clutch switch, a thermostat, and a viscous cooling fan coupling. The usual water leak at the top of the screen pillar was dismissed by BMW as being something “One should expect on a convertible, Sir!” I soon made up some rubber packing pieces, but such an attitude does BMW no good at all.
Since the end of its warranty period I have carried out all servicing myself, requiring little more than normal tools, a Gunsons pressure bleeder, and a home-made holding tool for the water pump pulley.

The lack of a BMW Service History is not a cause of any anxiety, as I have no intention of ever selling the car, and even if I did, on a car of this age the general condition tells one far more than a string of expensive oil changes.

Although it may seem curious, the use of air conditioning in an open car is a real boon, providing instant demisting without turning the car into a mobile sauna, and enabling us to travel within a ‘bubble’ of cool air even when the ambient temperature is around 40 degrees C. I would place air conditioning as an ‘essential’ extra.

The Z3 is a really practical everyday car, and has been used for several six-week camping trips around Europe, where the amount of (carefully-packed!) equipment which can be stowed in the boot and around the car never failed to amaze other campers.
Tyres are an emotive subject for some Z3 owners, my preference being Falken FK-453, having used the previous FK-451 and 452 since the original Pilot Sports wore out at about 20,000 miles. They wear well, grip tenaciously in all conditions, and only cost about £350 for a set.

Contrary to the comments of many owners I have never found the Z3 to be at all tail-happy, unless the driver really provokes it in a low gear on a greasy roundabout, or other unsuitable place. Even then, the breakaway is always gentle and predictable. The traction control is virtually redundant, particularly when the wider (8½”) rear wheels with 245-40 X17 tyres are fitted.

My only real criticism was the unsettling ‘tram lining’ effect on poor road surfaces, which had been evident since I bought the car at 13,000 miles. I eventually replaced the soft rubber bushes at the rear of the front wishbones by Powerflex polyurethane types (from Proven Products of Tavistock) with the result that the steering now ignores road irregularities.

Other suspension-based modifications include Bilstien Sprintline dampers, with Eibach front springs (20 mm shorter) (also from Proven Products) and standard rear springs to maintain adequate ground clearance. This factor is of greater importance than on a standard car, due to my use of a Butt Strut and a Body Brace, massive devices manufactured by Strong-Strut of Arizona to maintain the ideal relationship of the rear suspension cross-member, which is flexibly mounted on two long studs and a pair of small metal plates. The result has to be experienced to be believed, particularly on rough roads.

Other associated modifications include a Hamann strut brace, hard PVC stiffening pieces inside the rear suspension cross-member bushes, and a smaller (340 mm) RAID airbag steering wheel.

The brakes may not be huge (288 mm) but are suitable for just about anything, the front discs replaced by the Black Diamond drilled and slotted type, with the very satisfactory EBC Greenstuff pads. These have now been replaced by their latest Redstuff items, which are even better.
I had the management system remapped by our Superchips dealer, a process which only increases peak power and torque by about 10 horsepower and 10 pounds-feet, but provides proportionately greater gains in the mid-range, and improves fuel consumption. French autoroute use now returns an easy 32-34 mpg, while cross-country runs on Routes Nationales at about 60 mph gives 36-38 mpg, with occasional days of 38-40 mpg. Believe it or not, my best figure, over 220 miles from the French Alps to Clermont-Ferrand, was 43 mpg!

Do I like the Z3? After fourteen years I cannot think of any other even almost-affordable car I would prefer, and did not even have think about it before taking the Z3 to France, when we decided to move to the Dordogne a few years ago. The average Top Gear viewer may think that a Z3 is only fit to be driven by hairdressers and footballers’ wives etc, but in the real world it would be difficult to find a car which combines the many qualities of a Z3 – and particularly those of the 2.8.

It is affordable, very well made, will run to 130 mph at the drop of a hat, pulls happily from 600 rpm in top gear, has far better in-gear acceleration than many modern sports-type cars, yet will usually return up to 35 mpg on any run, and – yes – handles really well. Would I sell it? You must be joking!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Im with Mike. There was no way I was going to leave my 2.8 in UK when I moved to France. I have had it since 2000 and it still puts smiles on my face. I have had the odd niggle but nothing that is not expected and easy to fix most things DIY. Forum knowledgebase is great. Over the years it has cost me a lot less than other cars re parts etc. As for lugging stuff about I do have to use SuperU hire vans occasionally = 79 euros a day. but I have had a 3M kitchen worktop as luggase. Rested on the dash and rear luggage rack. Kept the rain off at least. Ive just passed 300000 kms and am looking forward to the next 300 and more. I have also met a lot of great people on the Z3 forum some of which have visited us in France. and ALL Z3s in the La Gacilly area acknowledge each other on the road and seek each other for aperros in the evening.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

I have lost count of the cars I've had over 42 years of driving. I've had most things and although I've always liked the look of the Z3 I never got round to buying one until 3 years ago. I am also a biker and had a very bad accident in 2011. I was unable to walk for quite a while and bought a Z3 M44 1998 as therapy. It had been abandoned in a field and was in pretty poor condition, underneath especially. I used to make my way out to the garage on my zimmer frame where I didn't need to walk as I spent three months on and off underneath stripping everything down, rebuilding, repainting, re-bushing etc. It was indeed therapy and helped me forget about the accident. I did make a full recovery and so did my Z3 in a similar timescale. I've always worked on my own cars but the Z3 is a restorers dream with pretty much everything being straightforward. I rebuilt an MGBGT many years ago and a Triumph Stag but it wasn't long before they were rusting again with so many moisture traps. I've had a couple of Boxsters and 3 MX5's but there's something about the Z3 that I like better. I've never kept cars for very long but the Z I've had for 3 years - for me that's a miracle. I can't imagine ever selling it. It may only be the 1.9 but I find it a great drive around the Highlands - so much so that I've sold my Audi A1 and the Z is now my daily driver. It's a rolling restoration and I reckon it will be another couple of years to get it exactly as I want it. Prices seem to have bottomed out now (maybe). Another few years and I can see these becoming the preferred choice over some of the older Classics that just rust continuously. As I've restored my Z3 everything has been painted inside and out, greased and rustproofed as everything is accessible. Other than stone chips I can't ever see it rusting again. What is rewarding is that most places I go I will end up having a conversation with a stranger about the Z3. Yep - definitely my favourite car so far (and my wifes).
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

My Review.
I was toying with the idea of getting myself another motorbike as I had recently sold my 1200ZZR when we moved house and was missing it badly. I obviously discussed this with the wife, who is not keen on motorbikes, and though she wouldn’t have stopped me she was not to happy with me getting another bike ‘she worries’ you see.
So I pondered on this problem for some time and then my "eureka" moment was to buy a roadster something not too new, with a classic shape which the wife and I can both enjoy.
So as is the case with these things I started to do some research into which roadster to purchase, after many weeks of exhausting and gruelling research, I gave up.
And bought my or our Z3 ( even though she never contributed ) because I like the shape, the colour, and the fact that it reminds me of a Shelby Cobra (my dream car).

I like the fact it tramlines, I like the fact it flexes when you push it a bit, I like the fact it plays up now and again, I like the fact you have to drive it and not just sit in it. I like the fact the seats are hard, and the steering wheel is too big, I like the fact the wiring loom will need fixing somewhere sometime.

What I don’t like is my usual commute to work which is a lifeless, sterile, soulless, Korean made car which when you get out of it, you can’t remember any of the drive home.

But in the Zed when the sun is out, and the roof is down, and my favourite CD is playing and a winding country lane, I have the BIGGEST smile on my face.

and that my friends is what it's all about. :sunny
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I'd never owned a BMW and never intended to as I have always had a bee in my bonnet about them. I love my zed. No car has ever put a smile on my face every time I drive it. When I was looking for a roadster it had to be an MGB, that's all I wanted and had been saving while hanging over the usual websites for 2 years. After much disappointment of not finding what I wanted Jue started to look at alternatives. After ruling out various contenders, MX5, SLK, CLK, and a few others we started looking at Z3's. Never once had I even given one a glance. After a run out a view one and a test drive later I was smitten! The car I test drive wasn't right but my mind was made up. It had to be as old as possible and with the 2.8 engine. It also had to be Boston Green or Montreal Blue.
Cue Reggie! Montreal blue, 2.8, in budget sensible mileage, full history etc. So money changed hands and here we are a year later and never been so happy! Love everything about him! I've spent as much again on him as I did buying him but he'll never be sold so I don't care that he owes me more than he's realistically worth.
The smooth power delivery and the solid all round feel when being driven never ceases to amaze me for a car of 16 years.

The retro looks are great, my personal choice was for the wide bodied version which on the pre facelift meant having the 2.8. What a shame! :)
I drive 2000-2500 miles a week so to drive at the weekend as my hobby is like a busman's holiday but when the suns out and the roofs down, for me there's no better feeling!
I only change my daily driver every 10 years of so, at the moment I'm 2 years into a saab 9-3 180bhp diesel, but I think my next car may well be a BMW! :D

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by metalmickey »

How right you are.
I first started admiring this car in July 1997 during a trip to the US where they were manufactured (put together really).
I just loved the lines and the look. I never got interested again until last year when a friend of mine acquired a 2.8 version and I spotted one in Aruba, a favourite holiday destination for North Americans.
When I got home, I decided to do some research as I had reached retirement age and I wanted to give myself a nice present to mark my 50 years of toil. Eventually I was lucky enough to buy an almost flawless example with only 57000 on the clock.
I now own and drive a Z3 1.9 Orinoco SE which has already given so much pleasure. I still have a 56 plate 318i for the inclement days but the Zed is being driven as first choice this summer so far. Driving has been a big part of what I do for a living and I have to say that the Zed gives me the biggest thrill of all the cars I have owned and driven. So far it has been relatively low cost to run. It has had a new CAT, a revamped steering wheel from Jack at Royal Steering Wheels and I have just upgraded the radio (Sorry, the In Car entertainment provider) and it came with a brand new BMW hood. Yes and I also had the bolster wear repaired but I am not entirely happy with that. The dye has changed colour!
One happy man and wife. She loves it too. Our 17 year old son has his eye on it but I cannot get him insured at a realistic cost. He drives the Clio!
Continue to enjoy, a smile on the face is much better than a scowl!
Metal Mickey alias Mike
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

I've had a BMW in my fold for the past 27 years and am lucky to presently have 4.

I started with an E36 1.8 coupe and moved through to a E36 P reg 328i Sports and got the go faster bug.

After a series of M3's E36 and E46's I bought myself a brand new Z4M Coupe in September 2006 which has now done only 23,000 miles of blissful enjoyment.

However I digress.

I'd always had a cheap run-around to get me to and from the station as I work in London and live in Cambridgeshire. These are best not listed!!

However, when the most recent run-around looked like failing it's MOT (it had been my youngest son's car at Uni!!!!) I decided to look at Z3's.

I was lucky enough, with considerable help from this forum to stumble upon a titanium 3 litre sport for sale in Autotrader in Hunstanton, the very edge of the world for most people and not too much folding stuff was exchanged. That was 2 years ago and I have to say I am a delighted and proud owner. She is a September 2001 model, pretty much kitted with everything and was (unfortunately) lowered at some stage of her life. This is annoying as she sometimes grounds out on sleeping policemen, but the car is absolutely magnificent. Despite owning an M, and having had many M's, my Z3 is absolutely perfect for the UK. We even took her for a fortnight to Monaco/Nice/Cannes last summer and she gobbled up the miles without a mechanical problem.

I love the driving position, I love the fat tyres and go karty feel and when floored she will see most others off without sweating.

I often toy with an M roadster, but when I look at them and look at her I cannot bring myself to take the risk. I have an M if I want one, but sometimes I opt to drive the Z3 over the Z4M coupe. The Z4M coupe needs 101% concentration and one nano-second of lack of concentration and you can be in potential trouble due to the quickness and the acuteness of the steering. So for a 99.9% only concentration drive the Z3 fits the bill.

My sons have their eye on the Z4M coupe as their inheritance, but they may also find I will hang onto the Z3 as well as it will take something really spectacular for me to move on.................now the 3 series 'grandchild jalopy', that may well have to go soon and perhaps be replaced with a 1 or 2 series soon as it's getting and feeling really leggy at 94k miles of a 2.2 litre heaving a tank weight body around. (Yep you've guessed the 3 series is my least favoured BM ride in the fold.)

Finally the Z4 roadster (also 3 litre) that we have in Mallorca really fits the bill there and I would sometimes advise against needing an M engine in the Z4 as the 3 litre engine is more than adequate 99% of the time in both UK and Mallorca and the Z4M coupe is not without its challenges. I hate that it needs to be in a trickle charge in the garage just because BMW ag failed to put a powerful enough battery in it. The immobiliser drains the battery down if it's not on trickle charge and its not driven for a week or so........but that aside..............

Zed's all the way - see you at Gayford on 17th August?

Look out for JP##NJP.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
carbloke

blank

Post by carbloke »

Mike Fishwick wrote:A Z3 2.8 EXPERIENCE Mike Fishwick

Just like you, I never thought about a Z3 but out of nowhere I fancied one and recently bought a 2002 3.0i. I hope mine will be as good as yours! MPG measured from full tank to full tank gave 32. Measured from seeing the juice coming out of the filler! I thought that was excellent but now hoping to improve on that after reading your blog. Re cornering, seeing steering feel is a lot stiffer than most "run of the mill" cars, it lets you feel the tyre grip on the tarmac really good. The only problem I have found, if it is really a fault at all, is that there appears to be a "hole in the exhaust" sound. It's that pop-pop-pop sound. I've checked the exhaust underneath. No problems showing. Someone mentioned throttle body failure of some kind. No more on it from the garage owner as it would cost! Any thoughts on this would be gratefully accepted, I will open a post on this soon.

I hadn’t really thought about owning a Z3 – or any BMW car at all – until, as a member of the BMW Club (motorcycles) I was invited to attend the BMW Car Club’s first Oktoberfest at Silverstone.

So it was that I drove a 1.9 litre Z3, finding that it was a car I liked, being small, with roller-skate type handling, good performance, and an excellent driving position, combined with an attractive blend of practicality, build quality and equipment levels. My wife liked the Z3 immensely – at one stage I thought I would have to break her fingers in order to get her out of the car!

After a little research it was clear that the 1999-on 2.8 litre M52TU engine offered several advantages over its predecessor. It also offers slightly improved power, torque and fuel consumption – by courtesy of its double-VANOS camshaft control, DISA variable-configuration inlet manifold system, and small-bore idle air inlet passages. Like all Z3 engines, It is fitted with dry liners rather than the sometimes problematical Nicasil bores.
I had also developed a marked preference for the shape of the original (pre-2000 model) rear wings, which appear to have been dragged outwards over the tyres, as on the Porsche 911.

I would clearly have to look for a good 1999-model car at the right price, fitted with air conditioning and seventeen-inch wheels, eventually finding one at a local BMW dealer, which had covered 13,000 miles in eighteen months.

The Red Zed and I have since covered a further 100,000 miles, the only real problems being confined to a new clutch switch, a thermostat, and a viscous cooling fan coupling. The usual water leak at the top of the screen pillar was dismissed by BMW as being something “One should expect on a convertible, Sir!” I soon made up some rubber packing pieces, but such an attitude does BMW no good at all.
Since the end of its warranty period I have carried out all servicing myself, requiring little more than normal tools, a Gunsons pressure bleeder, and a home-made holding tool for the water pump pulley.

The lack of a BMW Service History is not a cause of any anxiety, as I have no intention of ever selling the car, and even if I did, on a car of this age the general condition tells one far more than a string of expensive oil changes.

Although it may seem curious, the use of air conditioning in an open car is a real boon, providing instant demisting without turning the car into a mobile sauna, and enabling us to travel within a ‘bubble’ of cool air even when the ambient temperature is around 40 degrees C. I would place air conditioning as an ‘essential’ extra.

The Z3 is a really practical everyday car, and has been used for several six-week camping trips around Europe, where the amount of (carefully-packed!) equipment which can be stowed in the boot and around the car never failed to amaze other campers.
Tyres are an emotive subject for some Z3 owners, my preference being Falken FK-453, having used the previous FK-451 and 452 since the original Pilot Sports wore out at about 20,000 miles. They wear well, grip tenaciously in all conditions, and only cost about £350 for a set.

Contrary to the comments of many owners I have never found the Z3 to be at all tail-happy, unless the driver really provokes it in a low gear on a greasy roundabout, or other unsuitable place. Even then, the breakaway is always gentle and predictable. The traction control is virtually redundant, particularly when the wider (8½”) rear wheels with 245-40 X17 tyres are fitted.

My only real criticism was the unsettling ‘tram lining’ effect on poor road surfaces, which had been evident since I bought the car at 13,000 miles. I eventually replaced the soft rubber bushes at the rear of the front wishbones by Powerflex polyurethane types (from Proven Products of Tavistock) with the result that the steering now ignores road irregularities.

Other suspension-based modifications include Bilstien Sprintline dampers, with Eibach front springs (20 mm shorter) (also from Proven Products) and standard rear springs to maintain adequate ground clearance. This factor is of greater importance than on a standard car, due to my use of a Butt Strut and a Body Brace, massive devices manufactured by Strong-Strut of Arizona to maintain the ideal relationship of the rear suspension cross-member, which is flexibly mounted on two long studs and a pair of small metal plates. The result has to be experienced to be believed, particularly on rough roads.

Other associated modifications include a Hamann strut brace, hard PVC stiffening pieces inside the rear suspension cross-member bushes, and a smaller (340 mm) RAID airbag steering wheel.

The brakes may not be huge (288 mm) but are suitable for just about anything, the front discs replaced by the Black Diamond drilled and slotted type, with the very satisfactory EBC Greenstuff pads. These have now been replaced by their latest Redstuff items, which are even better.
I had the management system remapped by our Superchips dealer, a process which only increases peak power and torque by about 10 horsepower and 10 pounds-feet, but provides proportionately greater gains in the mid-range, and improves fuel consumption. French autoroute use now returns an easy 32-34 mpg, while cross-country runs on Routes Nationales at about 60 mph gives 36-38 mpg, with occasional days of 38-40 mpg. Believe it or not, my best figure, over 220 miles from the French Alps to Clermont-Ferrand, was 43 mpg!

Do I like the Z3? After fourteen years I cannot think of any other even almost-affordable car I would prefer, and did not even have think about it before taking the Z3 to France, when we decided to move to the Dordogne a few years ago. The average Top Gear viewer may think that a Z3 is only fit to be driven by hairdressers and footballers’ wives etc, but in the real world it would be difficult to find a car which combines the many qualities of a Z3 – and particularly those of the 2.8.

It is affordable, very well made, will run to 130 mph at the drop of a hat, pulls happily from 600 rpm in top gear, has far better in-gear acceleration than many modern sports-type cars, yet will usually return up to 35 mpg on any run, and – yes – handles really well. Would I sell it? You must be joking!
carbloke

blank

Post by carbloke »

The only problem I have found, if it is really a fault at all, is that there appears to be a "hole in the exhaust" sound. It's that pop-pop-pop sound. I've checked the exhaust underneath. No problems showing. Someone mentioned throttle body failure of some kind. No more on it from the garage owner as it would cost! Any thoughts on this would be gratefully accepted, I will open a post on this soon.
billelaine

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by billelaine »

We love our 15-year-old 2.8. We got it 7 years ago with only 15,000 miles on the clock from a cossetted home where it lived in a heated garage under a tailored dust sheet, but since then has been just everyday transport and bears the supermarket car-park scars to prove it. The only times the old girl stays at home and sulks is when it snows - never have I had a car so utterly useless in the slippery stuff! The only time she has been seriously immobilised is when the ignition key barrel failed and it took 2 weeks to source and install a replacement. Apart from that, 7 years and 50,000 miles of trouble-free motoring including a trip to the south of France and a tour of Ireland. I don't know what the 1.9s handle like, but this baby is, it has to be said, a bit of a lorry to drive - heavy steering, the massive steering inputs needed and the sensational of having a whole load of metal under the bonnet have never encouraged enthusiastic driving. Having said that, she tackles alpine hairpins very competently with some modest and enjoyable tail-sliding. I look on her as a very small Grand Tourer rather than a "sports" car. She has retro charm with some modern-ish trappings - great fun and very fulfilling to own. I occasionally take her on long business trips that I would otherwise do in my silent, sleek, dis-engaged Mazda 6 just to remind myself what motoring was like when I was a kid in my Dad's car - the thump of road imperfections, the roar of tyre noise blotting out the feeble radio, the sheer terror of being in a 1.2m high car next to a 5m high artic.......

Sadly she has to go shortly - a house move means a 4x4 is on the shopping list, but the Z will be badly missed and will undoubtedly remain the most characterful car we ever owned.