lost key

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

lost key

Post by fisherb »

Can anyone assist me in getting in to my Z3, I've lost the key, in the bin I think!
I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find a way of doing it without damaging it (possibly a good thing)

Any pointers would be appreciated to save me buying a new rear screen!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: lost key

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You can only get a key fron the dealer. Even if you break into the car, you can't start it without a genuine key, so as long as it's parked somewhere safe, I'd leave it and go to the dealer on Monday to order a key. You'll need proof of ownership and it will take a few days.
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fisherb »

Thanks, I was trying to hold off the £142 they want for it and just open it to get my stuff out as its a second car don't use much.
Its garaged so security isn't really an issue. Looks like I'll have to stop being tight though!
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

In england you can get a replacement master key for 48 pounds. I got one from there and I live in australia! contact this guy he is awesome. john.noden@williamsmanchester.co.uk
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Cooper01 wrote:In england you can get a replacement master key for 48 pounds. I got one from there and I live in australia! contact this guy he is awesome. john.noden@williamsmanchester.co.uk
Is that the remote one?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

nope. a master key opens all areas but no remote. The remote is more expensive but i am not sure how much. if you get depressed on the price consider that the same master key here in australia is aud$297 which is about GBP165.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The term used elsewhere on here, for what I believe will be the same thing is "Grey Service Key". It contains no remote electronics, just the chip needed for the immobiliser. You may well then be able to buy a used remote control key and program your alarm to recognise it, and have a complete key again.

It still surprises me just how many people buy a car with only one key - when new they were supplied with no less than FOUR keys! Two full keys, one valet key and one wallet key.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Robert T wrote:The term used elsewhere on here, for what I believe will be the same thing is "Grey Service Key". It contains no remote electronics, just the chip needed for the immobiliser. You may well then be able to buy a used remote control key and program your alarm to recognise it, and have a complete key again.

It still surprises me just how many people buy a car with only one key - when new they were supplied with no less than FOUR keys! Two full keys, one valet key and one wallet key.

Cheers R.
£48 from local BMW dealers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
JJG

blank

Post by JJG »

Which
I got a replacement key from BMW for £38 and it arrived in 36 hours
Argandy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Argandy »

Can you tell us where the key costing £38 was purchased from please as I have just purchased a z and unfortunately it only came with one key?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Argandy wrote:Can you tell us where the key costing £38 was purchased from please as I have just purchased a z and unfortunately it only came with one key?
Local bmw dealership - just ask for the grey key (see Robert t comment above) - (I paid 48 for mine)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal