Euro Tour - storing stuff behind the front bumper

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Euro Tour - storing stuff behind the front bumper

Post by saturdaygig »

my G/F and I are setting off for a three week drive to Rome next month. I've taken the auto-changer out of the boot (bless the mp3 head unit) so we can take full advantage of that space. I don't want to use a boot rack because the car will need to left unnattended with all our kit in it.
I read in another thread about using the space behind the front bumper. Anyone done this, and any tips for success? I assume things won't stay dry there, and something is needed to keep things in place. I'm thinking maybe I should make some kind of just-fit box.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Euro Tour - storing stuff behind the front bumper

Post by Mike Fishwick »

We used to carry seven loo rolls inside the bumper, each in its own sealed poly bag.

See my bit in the Z3 Knowledgebase about camping in a Z3.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

My Tip is:

Hang as many clothes as possible on hangars. Buy these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRESS-SUIT-CL ... 27df8d0901 or something similar. Then fit a strap around the headrest of your car tight enough so it does not slip down. pull the seat forward and hang the clothes on the rear of the seat (on strap) on both seats. tuck the bottom of the clothes bag up so it does not touch the floor, and put the seat back into position. Lots of room in the boot now for other items...
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

saturdaygig wrote:................I read in another thread about using the space behind the front bumper. Anyone done this, and any tips for success? I assume things won't stay dry there, and something is needed to keep things in place. I'm thinking maybe I should make some kind of just-fit box.
Agree with comments of others ... I carried my emergency roadside repair stuff in bumper/rad void when on Euro trips. I used elasticated velcro straps (Halfords) to hold items in position. Obviously make sure bottom tray is secure and has not `lost' any retaining screws.
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Thanks folks, I'll have a play with this