Oxygen sensors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Oxygen sensors

Post by Davejue1 »

Robert T diagnosed Oxygen sensor 2 was faulty when he plugged into my car at Lotherton. Assuming now this is why my emmissions are so high I am wanting to order a new one. I'm going to get two and change both as I'm sure if I don't the other will fail soon after. I'm struggling to find them on OEM. I have found plenty on eBay but I'd like to compare before buying. I'd prefer OEM if there not a daft price. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Oxygen sensors

Post by Jonco »

Davejue1 wrote:................. I'm struggling to find them on OEM.....
I think they are part 16(11781433071) on here which fits both - maybe another 2.8 owner could confirm http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=10&hl=20
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Brilliant, thanks very much. :)

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Do not waste your cash on ebay pattern parts or universal ones, go for known makes Siemens, Bosh or NGK
Just check pre cat and post cat are the same, some differ between the two the OEM diagram only lists the one at Item 16 but post cat is numbered 17, list dosn't show 17 as listed so they may be the same part number.
Euro car parts will supply named makes, they will seal them in a bag and will not accept returns if bag has been opened.
Might be worth removing them and taking them with you to compare with new ones they come up with.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks colb. Was concerned about ebay ones. Bit to cheap at £18. OEM want £150 which I think is the other way! Will check the brands you've mentioned and see if I can find some middle ground. :)

Cheers
Dave

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Try bmminiparts. If they have stock, they are a good bit cheaper for genuine parts.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

I think Bosch is the OEM manufacturer, so don't waste money for the BMW stamp only.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

kkkrisss wrote:I think Bosch is the OEM manufacturer, so don't waste money for the BMW stamp only
I agree with Kriss.

Out of interest, opinions differ as to whether or not you should just change them as a preventative measure. In the UK the stance seems to be that if they're not producing an error code then leave 'em in. But in my USA Haynes manual it suggests proactively changing every 50k miles whereas the US Bentley manual says to change proactively every 100k miles :shrug

My own understanding is that their "switching" action can slow over time e.g. 10-years or 100K and so there is no harm in changing - I've changed the single one in my 1.9 and in the following MOT the friendly inspector told be that on their sophisticated emissions equipment it was reading a near perfect 14.7:1 mixture which was good for an old car. :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I'll look into Bosch then, thanks for the leg up. Mileage wise you could well be right as the cars just turned 92k and is kicking a code up on sensor 2. I'll change both while I'm doing it, seems daft not to really as there's nothing indicating either have been changed. :)

Cheers
Dave