Battery Drain

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Battery Drain

Post by Julie Z3 »

Hi Chaps
Seem to have a drain on the battery (decent Bosch replacement),cars always fine when used daily, if left for a few days in this cold weather she struggles or just won't turn over. Battery was new in August as it was flat when I returned from my holiday and everythings been fine since then until this morning when the battery was flat enough not to turn the starter.
Took about two hours to get a full charge ,started straight away and alternators putting a good charge to the battery, is there an obvious place to start looking for what would cause the battery to lose its charge so quickly, not the greatest with electrics but would appreciate some pointers or has anyone here had a similar problem?
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Battery Drain

Post by Brian4 »

Boot light switch. Put the camera in the boot on video and shut the boot , look at the recording when you open the boot again to see if the light goes out. Also does the interior light go out. These are the two easiest to check.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks for the quick reply Brian! Interior light operates normally will have to check the boot light.......fingers crossed it's something as simple as that.
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Hi Juliez3, does your car have a tracker? I have read that old trackers (even ones no longer used) can cause parasitical drains on the battery-the problem is more difficult to investigate because the fitters generally tucked them away to hide them from the car thieves :shake:
regards
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Smartbear wrote:Hi Juliez3, does your car have a tracker? I have read that old trackers (even ones no longer used) can cause parasitical drains on the battery-the problem is more difficult to investigate because the fitters generally tucked them away to hide them from the car thieves :shake:
regards
It'll be under the carpet under one of the seats :wink: .
Pingu
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

No tracker as far as I'm aware....................turns out to be yet another faulty battery! This was a Bosch with a five year guarantee that just about made 22 months , had to bite the bullet and pay for a replacement at Halfords as I needed the car Monday morning but euro refunded money for old one so not all bad, thanks for the input guys.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Glad it's sorted. Strange things batteries but at least the warranty worked.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i