Z3 prices

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 prices

Post by peterandjenny »

Just out of interest I had a look on Auto trader at Z3's of similar spec as ours. Only 3 showed up 2.8 with 42000 miles. Do they actually sell for anything like those prices?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... 6l_to_2-9l
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 prices

Post by maurice the martian »

Nope thats why there still for sale.
M
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

The one at £11850 will be knackered. A 17 year old car done 5k will be well past its best. All the seals will be shot. Think that'll be for sale this time next year! :lol:

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I paid £6,000 in May this year for my mint low mileage 3.0 M Sport with hardtop. I thought at the time it was over the odds, but what other convertible sports car can you get in pristine condition for under £6,000 that will do 0-60 in under six seconds and close to 150mph?
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

lightning wrote:I paid £6,000 in May this year for my mint low mileage 3.0 M Sport with hardtop. I thought at the time it was over the odds, but what other convertible sports car can you get in pristine condition for under £6,000 that will do 0-60 in under six seconds and close to 150mph?
A Z4! :wink:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

A Boxter?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

yes but apart from that, what did the Romans ever do for us.......?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

S2000
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The Boxster looks good, and - so we are told by media hacks and some owners - has a 'sublime' chassis, but it has its own problems. Engine work is from underneath, so replacing a drive belt, water pump, or thermostat is not an easy job. Spares are not cheap, either.

In its original 2.5 litre form (in other words the currently cheaper ones) it is gutless, having to be revved to the red line in order to - just - have a slight edge (about half a second)on a 2.8 Z3. Even Autocar (famed Z3 haters) had to admit this, top gear 80-100 mph taking 13.4 secs for the Boxster, and 9.9 for the Z3 - which places the Z3 about 300 feet further up the road! Even the later 3 litre Boxster S is only on a par with a 2.8, and can be eaten by a 3 litre Z3.

Equipment levels are better for the Z3, with leather interior, power hood, trip computer and traction control being expensive extras on the Boxster. Even a centre console for the radio was an extra on the Porsche - and it looked like something bought in Halfords!

You cannot go into a breaker and get bits for a Boxster as we can with E36 parts.

As for the Honda S2000 - it is a rich kid's plaything, with expensive spares and few sources of them too. If you like rowing a car along on the gearlever then maybe it offers something, but it is not a good all-rounder like the Z3. I would think that the lack of use most of them receive will hold off ternial rust for the moment, but like any Japanese car it would drop to bits after a few salt-laden UK winters.

In terms of used cars, the Z3 still gets my vote!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Mike Fishwick wrote:... but like any Japanese car it would drop to bits after a few salt-laden UK winters.
Things haven't moved on since the 70s, have they? :wink: .

It's rare to see a rusty Z3, but it's even rarer to see a rusty S2000.
Pingu
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Mike Fishwick wrote:
In terms of used cars, the Z3 still gets my vote!
Mike, of course we agree with you and that is why we drive Z3s but we should also not be blind to our car's inherent faults. They are far from perfect and I dare say that on Porsche or Honda forums there will be as equally damning reviews of Z3/4s.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Mike Fishwick wrote:If you like rowing a car along on the gearlever then maybe [the S2000] offers something...
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Just spat me cocoa over the screen.....
Great line. Hilarious!

A.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Just tried to part-ex a 1997,1.9,new clutch,new exhaust,new battery vs a £6K 320D and was offered £500.I insisted on £1,250 and the guy phoned later offering £1K.Keeping the zed till it's a scrapper.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I just don't like the Z4.

I tried to like it, as l think they are even more of a bargain than the Z3, but as a "classic" car lover it just did not do it for me.
Same for the Boxster. I just don't like the look of them. Nothing wrong with the car, but just not for me.

I had a go in my friend's Cayman S and while it was certainly fast, it did not have any soul, and felt like any other executive "user chooser" company car.

And the tiptronic auto gearbox was terrible. If you must, then go for the manual gearbox.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

i can vouch on the jap cars rusting, I had a Honda before my z, ( it was biodegradable) though the vtec is good fun.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Rust is more model specific than any brand I feel.
The BMW e46's rust more than any Honda I have had.

My old Prelude at 185k only had light rust on the arches when I sold it but I've seen plenty worse.

Even the BMW e39 gets rusty bootlids and that was a very expensive car when new.
I believe certain mercs rust heavily too...