Breakdown Cover

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Breakdown Cover

Post by alec.m »

It`s nearly time to renew my breakdown cover. Just had a renewal quote from AXA for Rescue (National) and HomeAssist for £60 which is cheaper than a new customer online. That`s a first. Has anyone had experience of "rescuemycar.com" or a similar firm? They are so cheap compared to the big names but cheap is not always cheap! Thanks Alec
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by geminimustang »

No experience of either but can comment on the RAC.We have family membership,5 people and we received No-Claims discount as we never called them out.It was our piece of mind for the kids.A couple of years ago were paying around £80pa,then it jumped to £120 and now over £200.Though we'd never called them out,the NCD had been removed.I had to call them out yesterday and they arrived within 15mins and were superb.It's the leap in pricing that's a concern.I've emailed them to explain the pricing because next year,if the rate of increase continues,i expect i'll be looking for a lower cost service.
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

We are in the RAC with family cover too. The year before last we had a price increase and when I telephoned them I negotiated a better deal. Their representative actually suggested that when cover came around the next time, I should contact them and negotiated again. This I did in September and got a better deal. This seems to be the way to go, rather like car insurance.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I daresay the RAC are similar to the AA in that ringing them up at time of renewal and informing them that you are going to transfer to another breakdown service provider will get them to reduce their premium. Certainly works for me with the AA.

I've no experience of rescuemycar.com but suspect that all they do is farm out the work to a consortium of third party garages whose drivers know as much about repairing cars as my 85 year old mother. Their sole purpose is to transport you back to their garage and then charge you the earth for any repair. Caveat emptor.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have ongoing rac cover through my bank. I pay £15 a month but that also includes holiday insurance and mobile phone insurance so reading above doesn't sound a bad deal. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Not ready yet

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Not ready yet »

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews116736.html

Hope this helps, I'm with AA, £8 a month gets car and passengers either back home or destination. This is for my Zed, suspend it during winter months.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Am also with the AA, with additional parts and labour deal: any repair needed after roadside rescue is paid for, up to £500, up to five times a year, with £35 excess each time. Repairs done in garage of your choice. There is some reasonable 'Ts and Cs', but cost of cover does not depend on the model of the car. Cover is transferable but kicks in after two weeks. For less than £20 a month, it works for me. I certainly got my money's worth with previous car. Another option for you guys to consider.
Boosh.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I pay about £120 any car as I have 3 at the moment plus. It covers me for any car I'm in had a problem last year as the car I neededhalelp with was over 10 years old they told me the didnt cover cars that old
Peter2b
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I get 50% off RAC membership as an NHS employee. Every year they send the renewal at full price, I phone up to cancel and then restart it with the discount added.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Me as well. Cost just £29.00. Had not thought about next year but good news about cancelling and starting again.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I went with Start Rescue, based on price and reviews.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews242912.html#Summary

Not had to call 'em out yet. If I do I hope they live up to the reviews :-)

Mark
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

As already commented never let your renewal rollover, always call and negotiate a better deal, I have reduced mine as much £100, decided not to have vehicle cover for parts as this kept going up they were excluding things, I'll wait till the sun shines and them might add it as pro-rota

Sent from Boysies iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Tufarlian wrote:I went with Start Rescue, based on price and reviews.

Mark
I'd be hoping they don't live up to the reviews,390 give 5* and 39 give 1*,approx 10% uphappy with service plus the others in between,not good imho.As i've already said,this week i used the RAC,they arrived within 15mins,sorted the car,gave good advice,were in no rush to get away until i was happy,absolutely superb.My concern is the rate of annual increases but maybe this is another example of getting what you pay for.Hope everyone is enjoying Xmas.Deepest sympathy to TitanTim.I lost my dad a couple of years back and it's a tough time getting thro' that.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Tufarlian wrote:I went with Start Rescue, based on price and reviews.

Mark
I'd be hoping they don't live up to the reviews,390 give 5* and 39 give 1*,approx 10% uphappy with service plus the others in between,not good imho.As i've already said,this week i used the RAC,they arrived within 15mins,sorted the car,gave good advice,were in no rush to get away until i was happy,absolutely superb.My concern is the rate of annual increases but maybe this is another example of getting what you pay for.Hope everyone is enjoying Xmas.Deepest sympathy to TitanTim.I lost my dad a couple of years back and it's a tough time getting thro' that.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks for all your replies. It does seem like you do pay for what you get and there will always be a bad experience for some whoever they`ve gone with. The cheaper ones do have restrictions which aren`t obvious till you scrutinize the terms and conditions which are usually hidden. I`ll keep your comments in mind when I decide.
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by knighthawk »

Davejue1 wrote:I have ongoing rac cover through my bank. I pay £15 a month but that also includes holiday insurance and mobile phone insurance so reading above doesn't sound a bad deal. :)
Halifax ultimate reward current account works out at £10.00 a month if it's a joint account both covered for the above and more, both covered even if you are a passenger in any car van or motor cycle as it's the account holders that are covered by the AA even if you break down at home :o