Error code 96: CAN Connection with EGS failed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Error code 96: CAN Connection with EGS failed

Post by roadvoyager1 »

We have been doing some work on the brakes of my Z3 (1999 2.8 with M52TU and manual transmission). Codes were read using a Snap-on Ethos reader and after reset, error code 96 remained. Checking on various forums it seems that EGS is the Electronic Gearbox System and refers to the controller for the automatic gearbox.

Can anybody confirm that EGS is unique to the auto box and cars fitted with manual transmission do not have an EGS. If this is correct, my logic is that connection failed because there is nothing to connect to i.e. there is not a fault. Do any other members have access to an Ethos reader and has something like this been seen before?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Error code 96: CAN Connection with EGS failed

Post by Robert T »

Two things...

Which port did you use to connect the code reader to? The OBDII socket under the dash or the round 20-pin socket in the engine compartment. If you used the former, the ONLY module you can connect to is the engine.

There is no electronic module for the gearbox on a manual car (at least none that I am aware of - about the only electronics the gearbox has is a switch for the reversing lights!).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Error code 96: CAN Connection with EGS failed

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Connected to the 20-pin socket in the engine bay. Your comments are in line with my thoughts; a manual vehicle won't have a gearbox controller.