AutoGlym Odour Eliminator - BEWARE!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

AutoGlym Odour Eliminator - BEWARE!

Post by TWO »

I've just taken the Zed out of 6 months storage (water tight.......bone dry) for its MOT today (passed with no advisories :) ) but I thought I would freshen up the smell in the interior with Autoglym Odour Eliminator as the Zed has always smelt since the day I owned it, like an 'ol boys country club' due to the leather seats.........not the pleasant smell of leather..........but more of a mouldy smell :(

Just to make other Zed owners aware that I was horrified to see that the Autoglym Odour Eliminator has left matt finish spray marks all over the leather seats and will need restoring using black leather dye :head:

Can anyone recommend a better method to tackle above?

PS. I would avoid using Autoglym Odour Eliminator........it is next to useless!!!!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: AutoGlym Odour Eliminator - BEWARE!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are you saying it's actually eaten into the leather?
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Are you saying it's actually eaten into the leather?
No......not that bad.....it has left a visible matt stain which did not come off with water :(
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

That sounds like it's eaten into the surface dressing - I'd contact Autoglym about it.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

have you tried e45 or southern boys nipple cream?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Sounds as if it had some sort of solvent in it which would presumably evaporate and create the required scent. For leather conditioners I have also used the E45 cream (not the thinner lotion), some stuff by Simoniz which I bought because it contained lanolin and Gliptone which had a leather scent added to it. All were good enough.

Basically, you want something with a natural moisturiser like lanolin rather than just a silicone spray which will not nourish the leather and keep it supple. I would wager that any "hand cream" would work along with "Oil of Ulay" :D
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

bertiejaffa wrote:have you tried e45 or southern boys nipple cream?
LOL......all back to normal now............a small amount of black leather dye. When dry; a wipe over with E45 :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

TWO wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:have you tried e45 or southern boys nipple cream?
LOL......all back to normal now............a small amount of black leather dye. When dry; a wipe over with E45 :)
theres times when I think he is a genius and other times when I think he is absolutely barking mad....!!! but usually he comes up with the goods :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Nipple Cream is practically 100% pure lanolin...works extremely well on leather.... also prevents cracked nipples.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
billibob

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by billibob »

Sorry to say this but the instructions say spray on carpets and trim. If sprayed on to non absorbent material, it should be wiped off straight away with a damp cloth. Don't blame the product. I use it just to freshen up on carpets only and it's just a faint light fragrance.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

billibob wrote:Sorry to say this but the instructions say spray on carpets and trim. If sprayed on to non absorbent material, it should be wiped off straight away with a damp cloth. Don't blame the product. I use it just to freshen up on carpets only and it's just a faint light fragrance.
Hi Billibob

Point taken...........BUT to continue using a product that has such a dramatic effect on 'non-absorbent' surfaces in the interior is not for me and I feel others should be warned accordingly.

Given that it is a spray application; there was always a high likelihood of over spray.........as I found out :(

I am now using Meguiars Interior Detailer Cleaner which is safe on ALL surfaces.

I still believe that the Autoglym product should be avoided............or continue to use if you are willing to risk damage caused by unseen over spray :head: