Mobile car lifts?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Mobile car lifts?

Post by TomH84 »

What do you guys use to jack up your cars?

I'm forever using my trolley jack and axle stands, but seriously considering investing in a car lift - or at least something a like a beam jack. It takes ages to get the car on all fours safely. Maybe I'm just getting lazy... ??

Notice this one in Classic Car magazine: http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/3in1.shtml

Whatever I bought, I would use it for both the zed and the MG, and it would be a long term addition to my garage kit that I'd plan to use a fair bit (I tend to crawl about under the cars either other weekend - always something to fix/check on one of them).

Cheers,

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
mid life z
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Mobile car lifts?

Post by mid life z »

Hi have a look at MR1car lifts Mike Dawes. I have looked at the mobile lifts but they appear to restrict the middle of the car. I think you may be able to buy the one your looking at cheaper if you shop around. Good luck. T.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TomH84 wrote:What do you guys use to jack up your cars?

I'm forever using my trolley jack and axle stands, but seriously considering investing in a car lift - or at least something a like a beam jack. It takes ages to get the car on all fours safely. Maybe I'm just getting lazy... ??

Notice this one in Classic Car magazine: http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/3in1.shtml

Whatever I bought, I would use it for both the zed and the MG, and it would be a long term addition to my garage kit that I'd plan to use a fair bit (I tend to crawl about under the cars either other weekend - always something to fix/check on one of them).

Cheers,

Tom

I have one. and they are brilliant....:

And as regards access to the middle of car, there is a good 10" clearance above the frame so you can get exhaust, propshaft off etc etc:

It can be tilted either forwards or backwards so either end is up in the air, or locked in the horizontal position
I can tilt it on my own, because I know where the balance point is now to position it under the Zed.
Here is it next to my son showing how easy it is to access the underside.

It came with two taller 6 tonne axles stands, that you fit wherever you want to work. Plus I now use an electric drill to raise and lower it so it takes seconds to raise it fully.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

Cheers guys! That's fantastic :squeeze:

Photos really helpful - thanks for those. Good to see that there's lots of clearance underneath. It looks pretty stable in the flesh too. Bye bye trolley jack...

Cheers again,

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TomH84 wrote:Cheers guys! That's fantastic :squeeze:

Photos really helpful - thanks for those. Good to see that there's lots of clearance underneath. It looks pretty stable in the flesh too. Bye bye trolley jack...

Cheers again,

Tom

I would not be without it now... and yes, it is stable, it's a heavy beast, and is a hell of a lot sturdier than it looks.
Don't throw your trolley jack, I have to jack up a couple of inches under the diff to fit it under, cos my car is lowered

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..