How is the air bag light still on?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

How is the air bag light still on?

Post by gas guzzler »

Before anybody says anything I know its not ideal but I need the car to get through the MOT, it's not being sold on. Okay I've had a BMW mechanic check the fault and it's saying fault with side air bag somewhere, an expensive repair. Any way went to the MOT station and asked if it would fail with the light on, YES but if the light doesn't come on it's an advisory. So took the instrument pod out, removed the bulb put it all back, guess what the light still glows, just a bit fainter. HOW?
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: How is the air bag light still on?

Post by bertiejaffa »

gas guzzler wrote:Before anybody says anything I know its not ideal but I need the car to get through the MOT, it's not being sold on. Okay I've had a BMW mechanic check the fault and it's saying fault with side air bag somewhere, an expensive repair. Any way went to the MOT station and asked if it would fail with the light on, YES but if the light doesn't come on it's an advisory. So took the instrument pod out, removed the bulb put it all back, guess what the light still glows, just a bit fainter. HOW?
There is a backup LED installed to stop you doing exactly this. Im not saying to do it but others have found paper stuffed in the hole to hide the LED.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Cheers, thought I was seeing things, bloody German engineering. Shame they couldn't have made the rest of the circuit more reliable.
Andy

spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I had an airbag light problem that wouldn't go away, in the end swapped the airbag ECU for an identical part number 2nd hand one, works perfectly.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

would have thought the only option was to fix the problem not how to get around it :?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:I had an airbag light problem that wouldn't go away, in the end swapped the airbag ECU for an identical part number 2nd hand one, works perfectly.
I also had the airbag light on permanently when I purchased my zed, but no code readers would read the ecu. Swapped this for an identical part and not had a problem since.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

I will fix the problem but at the moment I need to get the car MOT'd and checked over for any other problems to make sure it's a viable proposition. It can be one of three things, as it's not the contacts, have already gone through those several times. The ecu unit behind the console (not sure how much they are), the side air bag sensor attached to the cross member under the seat £107(no correct ones on ebay) or the air bag unit in the door £534 from BMW (again no correct ones on ebay). The Bmw guy said the side air bags are an integrated unit and that's why it's expensive, must admit though I've got the door panel off at the moment and it doesn't look integrated to me. Have already tried the by pass thing that didn't work.
Andy

beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

has it been in an accident and any of the seatbelt pre tensioners been deployed not always obvious
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

There's nothing wrong with using salvage parts (as long as they haven't been out in the rain). That will cut the price down.
Pingu
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Don't have a problem with salvage parts, normally try and use them, but no correct units on ebay at the moment. Already ordered a sensor unit that was supposedly the correct one for a Z3, listed to fit my car, but it was the wrong one, fortunately didn't pay much.
Andy

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:I had an airbag light problem that wouldn't go away, in the end swapped the airbag ECU for an identical part number 2nd hand one, works perfectly.
Do you have anymore for him?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Yep I've got a few, I'll check when I get home.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

bertiejaffa wrote:
Do you have anymore for him?

Got these 2 off cars, also have 1 from a 2.8 1997 and one from a 1.9 2002 reg.

swappy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by swappy »

Any tips on changing over the control module ? Just got one off ebay, same part number. Had a couple of fault codes using a B600 reader/reset tool it gave me a couple of fault codes but wouldn't reset them. One of the codes was F0 which according to the booklet that came with the reader was an error that meant the control module had an internal error hope swopping it sorts it out. Although my local mot station said if the dashboard light isn't working its an advisory, but i really would like it to work properly just for peace of mind and safety.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

swappy wrote:Any tips on changing over the control module ? Just got one off ebay, same part number. Had a couple of fault codes using a B600 reader/reset tool it gave me a couple of fault codes but wouldn't reset them. One of the codes was F0 which according to the booklet that came with the reader was an error that meant the control module had an internal error hope swopping it sorts it out. Although my local mot station said if the dashboard light isn't working its an advisory, but i really would like it to work properly just for peace of mind and safety.

Mine was just plug and play.

I think a faulty air bag light (one that doesn't come on wen ignition is switched on and then go out shortly afterwards) will fail the MOT
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:I think a faulty air bag light (one that doesn't come on wen ignition is switched on and then go out shortly afterwards) will fail the MOT
No light at all = Advisory
Light on permanently = Fail
Pingu
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Well finally got it MOT'd today after the speedo packed up last time I went to take it in. So it passed with an advisory on air bag light 'not illuminating' , the wonders of a bit of paper stuffed down a hole. Hopefully be able to get it sorted by next year.
Andy
Andy

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

My air bag was on, the seat sensor had a thingy pluged into it but i replaced it with another one off ebay , light still would not go out, fortunely Robert T poped down with his lap top and sorted it out in seconds, but my R800 reader would not clear the light
peter2b
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Readers often do not have the ability to clear airbag and other safety codes. If they were so capable it would negate the reason for myself and other mechs from spending thousands on diagnostic equipment.