headlight cover

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Renaud

M roadster S54

headlight cover

Post by Renaud »

Hello All,

After 7 months of being SORN'd and tucked up in the garage, I had the Z back on the road today and in for its MOT. Thankfully, it passed without any advisories.

However, they did ask why the driver side headlight didn't have the plastic/rubber cover over the back of the headlight, the bit that stops all the road crud getting on the connectors and the back of the lamps . I must admit that I had not noticed until they pointed out the obvious difference between the two sides!!

Please excuse the very poor photos, snapped these on the phone, but not very well:

Passenger side with cover:

Driver side without cover:

So, the question is: should there be a protective cover over the back of both headlights and, does anyone know what the part number would be for the driver side cover?

I did spend some time on real oem, but can not see either side listed!

Thanks for your help with this

R.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: headlight cover

Post by colb »

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=63&fg=05

Checked Real OEM for my 1999 1.9 shows rubber covers for headlamps both sides.
Check it out for what model you have its in the lighting section.
Your picture certainly looks like its lost the rubber cover.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

What rubber cover? Your RH light looks normal to me. You are probably misinterpreting the parts diagram.

Moisture is kept out of the headlamp enclosure by the rubber bellows which can be seen around the main bean unit, and sealing is provided by the 'O' rings on HB-type headlamp bulbs, or the adaptor in the case of the H7 bulbs used in the later dip beams.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Sat 02 May, 2015 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The passenger side is protected as this forms part of the air intake, if you raise the bonnet you will see the duct work just to the left of the passenger headlight. Without the plastic cover the air would not be forced in to the intake.
swappy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: headlight cover/Air duct

Post by swappy »

i know this thread is quite old, and not sure if i'm posting this in the right place as its sort of on topic. But over the christmas holidays I had the front bumper off, (2.0l by the way) to do a couple of odd jobs and thought i'd do mike fishwick's air intake mod. Only to find that the 2.0l was the only 6 cylinder model to not be fitted with the ducting/headlamp cover :head: , so i couldn't complete the mod to cut a long story short. But I can't see any reason not to retrofit the ducting if I can find one, as far as i know the airbox is the same as the 2.8 earlier and later 2.2 and they had the ducting fitted as std, it seems that bmw thought the short lived 2.0 wouldn't benefit from a little extra air for some reason but anything should help as this ducting/cover helped direct air to the airbox. So if anyones got one lying about let me know.
Cheers :cheers and happy new year to all :)