New Here

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Don Corleone

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Here

Post by Don Corleone »

hello. I am currently looking for a Z3 and have test driven a 2.8 W reg with low miles (36k) and I am very interested in it. Yesterday after speaking the the salesman I found out it is an import. He said the previuos owner was a woman from Ireland. Does any one know if these differ from the UK models at all?? I want to go forward with the car at this moment in time. is there any reason I should avoid this car?? Thanks for any help.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Wellcome Don
My 2.8 was an import but was full UK spec so it being an import didn't bother me. I sometimes think 'BMW UK' try to stigmatise imports because they were bipassed & didn't get the UK dealer mark up when the car was bought new.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

I seem to remember being told or reading that all Z3s were built in the US, so I would assume that the RHD are to the same specifications (could be I am being a bit naive here!). Don't know for sure though, but I'm certain someone in this forum will be able to tell you. Good Luck.

JB
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

As with nearly all Irish imports, the rear fog light needs fitting/sorting.
Easiest way to spot one :wink:
Don Corleone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Don Corleone »

thanks people.
Jon Miller
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by Jon Miller »

garyw wrote:As with nearly all Irish imports, the rear fog light needs fitting/sorting.
Easiest way to spot one :wink:
Eh? :shock: We have rear fog lights here as well (as standard)

If Its a car from Northen Ireland it will be a UK spec Car.

If It's from the Republic it is likely to be a lower spec. To keep the prices low a lot of kit that would be standard in the UK is optional here.

For example the powerhood was standard on a UK 2.8 but an option here.

Cheers
Jon
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

So I was right then "nearly" and no idea of which part of Ireland its come from.. :?
garyw
Don Corleone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Don Corleone »

i am going to have another look at it on saturday. he needs to look at my car for a part ex value (i currently drive a mini cooper s). if he gives me a good price i will wrap up the deal there and then. i can't wait! my insurance will be cheaper on the zed as well. its still over a grand though as i am a mere 23 with a dirty license. just hope this summer is good so i can get that roof down. thanks again every one.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Jon......My power hood is listed as a extra in the BMW printout I got for my 2.8 along with the roll hoops, CD player, air con ect
Russell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New Here

Post by Russell »

Don Corleone wrote:Yesterday after speaking the the salesman I found out it is an import. He said the previuos owner was a woman from Ireland. Does any one know if these differ from the UK models at all??
Mine is an import too. Apparently mine was purchased in Germany to save money, but ordered as a UK spec car. It didn't bother me, but I know some people can be picky about such things when reselling.

I would suggest the best way to check if the spec varies on your model is to get a dealer to check the VIN for you. If you know someone who has access to the ETK CD database, they could probably do this for you.

Welcome to ZRoadster, Don. I've not been here that long myself. They are a pretty friedly bunch mostly. I'm sure you'll soon feel at home.

Good luck with the Z.

Russell
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Geoff H wrote:Jon......My power hood is listed as a extra in the BMW printout I got for my 2.8 along with the roll hoops, CD player, air con ect

I think that...
The 2.8 has always had a power hood as standard.
Roll hoops were an option until they became standard after the facelift in 99.
CD player and air con have always been optional extras.

A RHD car first registered in Germany has almost certainly been bought by a Germany based serviceman. It should be OK, but always double check the spec as it's easy to miss something off the check list. Up until a few years ago cars bought abroad were bought from a tick sheet. If the guy missed something it could seriously affect the resale value of the car. Nowadays, you just ask for "UK spec + options". I know a guy who lost £15,000 of potential profit because he forgot to tick "Rear Child Restraints" on a Mercedes. :shock:

I've got ETK and I don't think it lists what the spec for your car is, but you can check if something is fitted. Your best bet for a spec check is a sales brochure from the year of manufacture (often available on eBay - I got one for £5)

The car itself may be perfect, but it is an import. If the two dates on the V5C (First registered & First Registered in UK) are the same, no problem. If they are different, I'd try to get some money knocked off (possibly £1,000). He can only laugh at you. Remember dealers want to sell more than you want to buy. Private may be different. He may not even want to sell :lol: ("My wife told me to sell the car, so I'm trying to sell it")

Anyway, good luck on Saturday and welcome to zRoadster
Pingu
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

pingu wrote:
Geoff H wrote:Jon......My power hood is listed as a extra in the BMW printout I got for my 2.8 along with the roll hoops, CD player, air con ect

I think that...
When i was first looking for a Zed this time last year i narrowed it down to two, a 2.8 in Estoril import from the Republic of Ireland and a Silver 3.0 GB spec. The 2.8 was in the lead as it was the colour i really wanted but it lost out as it didn't have the power hood option (lazy i know but if you are spending that kind of money etc,etc) so i went for the silver one.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

pingu wrote:I think that...
Roll hoops were an option until they became standard after the facelift in 99.
CD player and air con have always been optional extras.
I was referring to UK spec, sorry for any confusion.
Pingu
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I've copied the spec sheet I got from my main dealer for my car, it clearly shows the power hood to be a extra. The car was supplied new by a UK dealer and is not a import
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Pingu's right!

Post by Alfie »

Sorry, but UK spec 2.8 Z3s have always had power hood and full leather (amongst other things) as standard.

I've got the options / extras list at home somewhere.... :rtm:

Maybe these things were listed on the extras sheet compared to the base 1.9 model, and the first owner didn't actually pay extra for them?? Or maybe that bit of paper is a specification sheet, not a list of items to be charged for.

'GB spec', 'Black hood' and 'smokers pack' for instance, wouldn't have cost any extra.

A.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I think the key bit on the "spec sheet" is Extras (*=AG extra)
Don Corleone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Don Corleone »

finally confirmed the sale. i shall be picking up my black 2.8 Z3 some time next week, once the reg plate transfers have gone through. it has 34k on the clock and had one previous owner, who was a woman. dispite being a woman, the alloys are in good condition. that should put the cat amoungst the pigeons!! i will now try to put a picture up. here goes.[img]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLKF153/media3.jpg[/img]
Don Corleone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Don Corleone »

D'oh!!!
Russell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Russell »

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Russell
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Good choice Don Corleone. My car was an import sourced through Holland but is the same spec as a GB car. The log book says "declared new in GB by independant importer" and no separate dates are mentioned. Enjoy.