Door Pull Removal/Replacement?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rob56

blank

Door Pull Removal/Replacement?

Post by Rob56 »

I was wondering if anyone had attempted to remove and or replace the actual door pull handle (not the openy bit, the slam the door shut bit.
The top of the pull near the electric mirror switch is snapped so now I have to have the window and top down all the time and pull the door shut - Not a problem in the nice weather but I worry if it stays like that and it gets cold I'm a bit buggered :S

I've had a look at the online parts catalogue and the doorcard pull handle looks to be replaceable (number 5):

And from the online card removal thread it looks like they unscrew - I was wondering if anyone has theirs off the car or a spare set to look at.

I'm failing to find a drivers beige doorcard at a decent price and it looks as if they should be about £60 for and handle from the dealers so I'm thinking this might be the way forward :S
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Door Pull Removal/Replacement?

Post by Vince70 »

Has your handle snapped around the hole where you screw it to the door clip as it seems to be quite common as the plastic seems to get brittle with age and I guess with a metal screw going through the hole to hold the the plastic handle in place it's the first thing to give.

I took my door panel off to repaint my mirror bases and when reinstalling the panel mine broke around the screw hole and I managed to repair mine with Aradite two pack and with a good coating of the stuff and a day's drying time it made the handle stronger than it ever was before and if that didn't work I was going to make a thin metal plate up and glue that on the back of the handle for added strength but it didn't come to that.

I thinks the problem is that now the cars are coming up to 20 years old now all the old clips and plastic are getting brittle and have to be handled with care.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It is easily removed by removing the screws - one at the switch end - 180 degrees left of the # "9" in the photograph, and two at the other end - just right of the mesh in your photograph with the "oval" washer. If it has broken the plastic bit at the switch end, you can consider a longer self tapper into the plastic body of the pull handle. Just drill an appropriate size "pilot2 hole for the screw to follow into the plastic. You may also need a larger washer around the screw head.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

I have a spare door pull from a tan interior if you are looking for one?

The bottom of the door pull is attached to the doorcard by two quite posi-drive screws, and as you have said before the top of the door pull attaches to the door itself.

The doorcard itself is fairly easy to remove, you just have to be careful when prising the clips away from the door that you are levering right by them, so you don't end up ripping the clips off of the doorcard, which is made of some kind of fibreboard.
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Rob56

blank

Post by Rob56 »

David if I'd seen this a couple of days sooner I would have definitely had it off you - Unfortunately I did a bit of a duff job and glued/epoxied the handle back together with a metal washer as reinforcement - I'll see how well it holds out - Hopefully it's a good fix - Certainly feels strong enough at the moment - Thanks for the offer though, no doubt if they break as easily as this someone will snap it off you soon enough!
Thanks again!