Clear indicators, just fitted

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Clear indicators, just fitted

Post by John Wilson »

Just fitted clear front indicators from Barry (Southernboy). Very good service. They came in a nice sandwich box to protect them. Took about a couple of weeks to arrive from sunny South Africa (to much sunnier GB). they look great fitted. The bit with the oven that everyone worries about was easy and the units came apart no trouble. I had no problems with the first one, but when I came to the second one, there was a few things I wish I'd been aware of before I'd started so I thought I'd share my experience.
When you take the units out of the oven and begin prising them apart, the glue can form long strings. These strings can get onto the lenses and while the lenses themselves can easily be cleaned, the chrome surround comes off really easily if rubbed. I ended up having to respray one of them with chrome paint having rubbed a bit too hard. Also the headlight lenses have a tendency to come out as you take the unit apart so just be careful.
When refitting the unit, make sure the very pointy end is properly fitted first because one bit goes in under the other bit slightly so its easier to do this first.
I should have have done a bit of research before buying new bulbs. I thought that orange bulbs were the only option so I got a couple as I was passing Halfords. I couldnt understand why the yellow was showing up more than you usually see from detangoed Zs. I now know they use those bulbs which look silver but are yellow when lit. As a temp measure, Ive sprayed the front of my yellow bulbs with the same paint I bought for the lens surrounds, and the yellow light just reflects out the back. They look fin now but Ill still get a pair of the silvered ones later.
Still, no reflection on the lenses themselves. They look lovely. And Barry's instructions are very clear. Ive just fitted a new smooth throttle cable at the same time and together its like having a new car.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Clear indicators, just fitted

Post by Southernboy »

Well done John, and thanks for the compliments too... and the silvered bulbs will be a nice finishing touch... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

Heat gun is better than oven, I done it in the same way like on this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAedHvOW15I
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Well worth doing, a subtle modification that takes years off the car :)
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I quite liked using the oven. It just takes a few minutes. Mind, my wife was trying to do a flan at the same time, and the pastry wasnt going well. Lets just say that there was a certain tension around the kitchen during the operation.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Del wrote:Well worth doing, a subtle modification that takes years off the car :)
Totally agree Del. Mine came already done but didnt even realise for 18 months until I was parked in a line of other zed's ready to go for a spin! Thats how subtle it is! :lol:

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

How much is the kit to do this job on a Z3?
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Hi lightning, there should be a list somewhere in the for sale section of all southernboys products & their prices.
Regards
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

£48 Incl postage.... from me. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions