DIY Fitting of New Hood

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

DIY Fitting of New Hood

Post by Lancsbob »

Hi
Anyone had a go of fitting a new hood themselves & if so is it complicated?

Cheers Bob
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: DIY Fitting of New Hood

Post by Del »

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is doing it yourself worth it? A fully fitted roof probably isn't much more than a diy roof.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I did my own fitting some years ago.... I wouldn't do it again. The most difficult aspect is cleaning the sticky off the bows and right behind that is cleaning the butyl off the body at the base of the rear window. There is also the absolute necessity of getting the stresses balanced on both sides to avoid the rear window folding improperly when lowering. TBH it's a messy hard going on the glue... The stuff used on the bows is practically impervious to any solvents, plus it makes a serious mess which requires adequate protection of the car interior to avoid getting chemicals and glue onto seats, trim or into the carpets. I would advise using a reputable fitter. The cost difference is minimal and worth the extra few bob a pro will charge.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Watching the link has convinced me not to bother. (Thanks for that)
I notice a few references to "The Soft Top Shop" in Stockport which is near me, anyone
been there & are they any good.
Whilst doing the job is there anything else thats advisable to replace like seals etc or are they
done as part of the job anyway.

Cheers Bob
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Definitely a vote from me for the SoftTopShop in Stockport.

Great job, done at my home. Good quality hood and good quality work. He knows what he's doing.

Added to that he's a straightforward guy to deal with as well.

Mark
stumpy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by stumpy »

For what it's worth, I think anyone who is mechanically minded and does their research can fit a new top.
I recently fitted a new top to my Z3 and the only extra tool I had to buy was an electric stapler.
I found the biggest problem of all was the access to the two end bolts that attach the bow to the frame of the car.
Apart from that every thing is relatively straight forward and one has a great sense of achievement when the job is completed.
I purchased my hood from 'Prestige Autotrim' , http://www.prestigeautotrim.com.
Chris, the salesman was very helpful, the instructions that came with the hood were straight forward and easy to understand too.
(http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/uk/inst ... stallation guidance.pdf)

My biggest disappointment was how quickly the rear window had signs of scratching from the frame when the roof was down.
I didn't realise that a rear window cover/protector should be used.
The genuine BMW covers are really silly money so I decided that as the cover/protector can't be seen when in use I'd design my own.
I polished the scratches out and made a simple protector by sandwiching thin under floor foam with a babies fleece blanket and attaching two pieces of elastic to short pieces of sliced 15mm plastic pipe that hook onto the bow in the car.
I deliberately made it bulkier than the genuine BMW article so it does not only prevent the window from scratching, it stops the window creasing too. Total cost: £2.98.

Result!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

stumpy wrote:For what it's worth, I think anyone who is mechanically minded and does their research can fit a new top.
I don't think it's the difficulty as much as it just isn't worth it. The cheapest that is listed by Prestige is just over £400 inc vat, whereas you can get a fully fitted roof from SoftTops of Croyden for about £350. Even if you get a diy roof for £250, is it really worth doing it yourself?
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Didn't realise BMW made a specific protector. Does the window get scratched on the inside or outside?
How do you attach your protector?

Only got my car Saturday so not checked it out yet but the window is a mess + hood freying in places.

Cheers Bob
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Lancsbob wrote:Didn't realise BMW made a specific protector. Does the window get scratched on the inside or outside?
How do you attach your protector?

Only got my car Saturday so not checked it out yet but the window is a mess + hood fraying in places.

Cheers Bob
They do, but (in my opinion) the main damage occurs inside the window rather than on the outside, so the window blanket doesn't address the main area of concern.
stumpy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by stumpy »

REAR WINDOW DAMAGE.
By far the majority of damage is caused on the outside of the window by the frame/hood pressing directly against the Perspex window when the hood is stowed.
My observations are from my own experience on a new pristine window, even after a couple of journeys with the hood stowed I was quite shocked to see the scratch line appearing on the outside of my brand new window.
Catching it quickly, I was able to polish the marks out and now have a blanket to protect it which is working.
There is no wear or damage marks on the inside, however there may well be some wear on the inside of the rear window over a longer period of time which is why I now have a fleece blanket on the rear shelf too.
'Roadster Solutions' in the USA produce a couple of products for Z3 rear window protection, but postage to the UK makes it quite expensive. (http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page39.html#366)

SOFT TOP - DIY OR NOT TO DIY?
I have no idea. Where I live the nearest fitters were 120mile plus away so I felt I had little choice especially if I had after sales problems.
As for the price, I could have purchased a much cheaper self fit top but in my experience you only get what you pay for.
Whatever the quality of the hood, the cost of fitting by professionals must be a consideration as they don't work for free.

Cheers....
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

stumpy wrote: SOFT TOP - DIY OR NOT TO DIY?
I have no idea. Where I live the nearest fitters were 120mile plus away so I felt I had little choice especially if I had after sales problems.
As for the price, I could have purchased a much cheaper self fit top but in my experience you only get what you pay for.
Whatever the quality of the hood, the cost of fitting by professionals must be a consideration as they don't work for free.

Cheers....
I suppose that's a choice for the individual. When my gf needed a hood for her MX5, we drove 155 miles each way to have it fitted at Jack Smith's in Swansea because that's the go-to place for the MX5, according to all the MX5 forums. They did an amazing job for £280 fully fitted. Add on about £60 for fuel, and that's still a bargain for a professionally fitted roof, and certainly made any sort of diy effort completely redundant. And we had a day out as well.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Tufarlian wrote:Definitely a vote from me for the SoftTopShop in Stockport.

Great job, done at my home. Good quality hood and good quality work. He knows what he's doing.

Added to that he's a straightforward guy to deal with as well.

Mark

Well.....l've called them twice this week, Weds and Friday mornings. Both times no reply so left a voicemail. (my rear window is OK but the rest of the car including the hood is so good l thought l'd have a new one fitted)

So far, no reply or calls returned.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

That's disappointing.

Not making excuses for him but he's out most days fitting hoods.

Try his mobile 07587 631 886