Help with rear tyres

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Help with rear tyres

Post by Inferno »

Since i transformed the rear to wide ass, in my eyes the 225/45R17 rear tyres looks like bicycle tyres, so i as thinking of 245/40R17. Please tell me what do you think, pros and cons, car is 1.8, 17x8" alloys all around, 225/45R17 all around and i want to go for 225/45 in the front and 245/40 in the rear.

I don't care about fuel consumption (ir's a weekend car)
I know it will be even slower but WTH it's already slow as death
only 1 factor it's important for me, SAFETY
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help with rear tyres

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Why will it be slower? The tyres are the same circumference. I suppose you'll have a bit more weight and inertia, but I can't imagine you'll notice the difference. Why not just use spacers to push the wheels out?
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Why will it be slower? The tyres are the same circumference. I suppose you'll have a bit more weight and inertia, but I can't imagine you'll notice the difference. Why not just use spacers to push the wheels out?
I already use spacers (45mm on each hub)

I need wider tyres, when you look car from behind it's noticeable (at least to me) it's like something is "missing".

Will it be safe?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My 3.0 has OEM Z3 wheels. They are "narrow & wides". Rears are 245's. I don't think you should be concerned about safety, although you may want to reduce the spacers a little. I have 15mm spacers on the rear wheels and 5mm on the fronts.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Inferno wrote:Since i transformed the rear to wide ass, in my eyes the 225/45R17 rear tyres looks like bicycle tyres, so i as thinking of 245/40R17. Please tell me what do you think, pros and cons, car is 1.8, 17x8" alloys all around, 225/45R17 all around and i want to go for 225/45 in the front and 245/40 in the rear.

I don't care about fuel consumption (ir's a weekend car)
I know it will be even slower but WTH it's already slow as death
only 1 factor it's important for me, SAFETY
Hi inferno. If the 225/45 x 17 tyres on the arse end of your Z3 look like bicycle tyres I would be refraining from driving for a while - until at least a visit to SpecSavers has been carried out and you have been given the all-clear to continue driving.

As far as safety goes - I used my Z3 on the original wheels and tyres for 7,000 miles before changing over to staggered front/rears and never ever felt that the car was either unstable or dodgy in any way whatsoever.

I live in rural countryside with narrow twisting and winding lanes and adverse cambers mud and cow **** on the roads and never ever felt unsafe.

Perhaps you need to be seriously looking at your choice of rubber/tread patterns and manufacturer/branding before thinking about spacers and the aesthetics of an otherwise perfectly good Z3.

The wrong values in the right/wrong hands can/will make DEATH come faster - a slow death is often reserved for those that have a terminal illness.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Perhaps your next project will be to fit 8.5 inch rims, and you will then fit rear trailing arms from a 2.8,which brings all manner of interesting additions in its wake!

What offset do you r current wheels have?

Perhaps you should think about replacing the original rear wings, sell the car, and buy a 2.8 . . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

thank you ALL you have been really helpfull, i just putted on a set of michelin primacy 225/45 & 245/45 so the car is slightly taller now (which i wanted) and the tyres now are perfectly alligned with the rear fenders. Next project is to find a decent set of Z3M wheels and use the new tyres to that wheels and get rid of the spacers

BTW i am not from UK so i don't get most of the every day language you use, like taking a visit to specsavers (not that i care about ironies like that anyway :D)
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

You sussed the irony there though ...................... :nerd: :wink: :)
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

mine are 255 at the rear, drives fine 8-) 255-35/18 staggered with 225 40 18 at the front. front offset is 47 (same as stock, rear is 50. they look great from behind, shame I don't have the oooph to justify them :lol: but I needed new rubber and these wheels just happened to land in my lap :)
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

My question in the first place was if it is safe to run 245's to 8" wheels specifically, i know that it is safe to run 225 or 235 or 245 or 255 or whatever ON THE CORRECT WHEEL WIDTH, but what happens if your wheel is on the "edge" with your tire? 245 is the max tire an 8" wheel can take, perfect is 225 or 235, 245 is do-able, but is it safe? That was my question and i am really sorry that i failed to explain it better.

Anyway i took the risk, car drives awesome, it has an awesome stance, i have gained a little height, which i wanted since car was too low for my underground parking, and feels much steadier to the road. Only flaw is the "balloon" effect -or whatever they call it- to the profile of the tire, it "hugs" the wheel's rim exactly because of the 8" wheel width.
Vic-Z3 wrote:You sussed the irony there though ...................... :nerd: :wink: :)
:D

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Z3M wheels would be a priority, fitting properly under the arches - unlike most other attempts on 2.8/3.0s etc - it should look nice.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I know, only problem is they are extremely rare where i live, and currently we cannot buy products from outside the country

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk