Is it safe to plug a battery conditioner in cigar socket?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ladders

blank

Is it safe to plug a battery conditioner in cigar socket?

Post by ladders »

hi, i have a 2.2 auto and would like to keep the battery fully charged all year round especially in winter.i am concerned that sensitive electronics might be damaged. Is it safe to do this?
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Is it safe to plug a battery conditioner in cigar socket

Post by lebigmec »

Yes, it's totally safe to use a battery conditioner through your cigar socket. I've been doing it with a CTEK conditioner for years.
I wouldn't recommend (or think it's safe) to use a standard battery charger like that though, as the current wouldn't be smoothed or regulated enough & could cause damage. A battery conditioner is designed to be used for long periods & the fact that they supply them with plugs to charge directly through the cigar socket would suggest that it's been thought through.
What sort have you got?
Last edited by lebigmec on Tue 28 Jul, 2015 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
ladders

blank

Post by ladders »

Thanks for your reply,
I too have a ctek and used it on my mgb for 6years and no problems. But the z3 is an auto and has loads of sensitive electrics compared to the mgb,made me feel worried about damaging something.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Any constant voltage or 'automatic' charger will be fine - just because the maker calls a small automatic charger a 'conditioner' and tells the gullible public that it will do all manner of things which any current-limited constant voltage charger will do does not make it particularly wonderful. There are lots of automatic chargers around, which will do the same, and most have a reasonably high maximum current, which is handy when dealing with a discharged battery.

These days most battery chargers are of the constant-voltage type with a current limiter, and will do no harm to the car's electronics or to the battery - they are designed to fit and forget. This is common practice in the industrial and marine world, where the battery charger float charges a battery and also feeds assorted electronic systems. Some have switches to set continuous float or 100% charge, the use of which is obvious.

For the last 35 years or so I have been using Gunsons auto chargers on cars and motorcycles with electronic injection etc with no problems whatever.

Remember however that the cigar lighter has a series resistor to limit current in the heating element, and this will restrict charging current at higher levels - such as when the battery is well discharged - so extending the charge time. In such conditions it is better to use the jump start connectors under the bonnet, or connect directly to the battery.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!