Windscreen Wipers rubbing on bonnet.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
temoore1993

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Windscreen Wipers rubbing on bonnet.

Post by temoore1993 »

My problem is that the windscreen wipers rub on the bonnet, I have searched the forum to see if anyone else has this problem but have had no luck. I have tried to upload some photos but apparently they are too big, so I have uploaded them to flickr. If anyone else has had this problem let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134013685 ... ed-public/

Thanks
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Windscreen Wipers rubbing on bonnet.

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I can only assume that they are either the wrong ones for the car, incorrectly fitted, perhaps the left and right arms have been swapped over or the motor isn't mounted properly and is allowing the arms to move about. They certainly didn't leave the factory doing that!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are a good few threads on the subject: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/search.p ... +and+wiper

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

this is actually a common problem, its down to the wiper drive shafts are worn, there are threads on here somewhere, I have seen them as I have the same issue, if I remember correctly the bearing or bush that these wiper shafts run through get a bit tired and worn allowing the wiper shaft to move about, its not a simple fix though :evil:
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

You can either adjust the bonnet to raise the clearance which is a 2 person p i t a or remove wiper arm & bend to clear.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

the bending solution is the most common answer, it does work but doesn't solve the original issue, personally I'm gona have a go at the bending solution with mine :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Just done mine with the same problem. Removed the arm and two hits with a rubber mallet bent it enough to have loads of clearance.

I wasn't going to adjust the bonnet and all the shut lines just for a wiper arm. a bit over the top. The height difference was probably caused by different wiper blades
Whats next?, cut the A pillars and weld the windscreen further back? :roflmao:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Looking at your pictures on flickr, I think you may have a bigger problem .......... :arrow:
Like how the hell are you going to explain that amount of cash away ..... :cheers
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

this isn't isolated to just z3s, other bmw suffer the same issue, I googled it a while back, found a thread on another bmw sight, the fix involves removing the wiper drive shafts that go through the bulk head and replace the bushes/bearings or shaft, cant remember which part wears out. suppose the easiest way to find out is see if the shaft has play, it always appears to be on the same side too.
wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wyn02 »

Had similar problem couple of years back, scratched the paint off the bonnet. The cause was that the wiper arm was slightly bent. Took it off the car, bent it carefully in a vice and it did the trick.