Tyres

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Tyres

Post by Gordon13 »

In danger of raising on old topic here but the front end feels a little vague and there is a certain amount of tramlining.

Suspension is all good, new lower arm rear bushes, tracking has been checked - these two thing made a marked improvement but not perfect.

so attention has turned to the tyres. Front are Yokohama and probably in excess of 8 years old, but no signs of deterioration. Rears are Pirelli and six years old.

all were fitted before I bought the car.

My feeling is the its the fronts at fault, and I have read that the Z's can be sensitive to different manufacturers, so are Yokohama's in the 'bad' group and if so what's the best replacement ?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Tyres

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think anything over 5 years old should be considered as needing replacement. I think Falkens are the most common recommendation.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

what size tyres? original wheels?

just noticed the pic on your sig, what offset are your wheels? I had a set of those with the incorrect offset, they tram lined real bad
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Drop links for the front make a difference as well. I am told the cars run better on Assymetrical tyres.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

littlefeller wrote:what size tyres? original wheels?

just noticed the pic on your sig, what offset are your wheels? I had a set of those with the incorrect offset, they tram lined real bad
To the best of my knowledge they are the original set up.

style18. 8 1/2 j with 245/40/17 on the rear and 7 1/2 j with 225/45/17 on the front.

according to the hand book and the tyre pressure chart on the B post this is a normal setup.
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

Brian4 wrote:Drop links for the front make a difference as well. I am told the cars run better on Assymetrical tyres.
interesting, the yokohama's are directional, not asymmetrical, so there maybe a clue there.
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

X2 For Falkens, made a big difference to my car
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I have been using Falkens (in seventeen-inch sizes with staggered wheels) for fifteen years on my 2.8, in FK 451, 452, and currently 453 forms, and have no complaints. I prefer 2.5 bar all round, and get about 30k from the fronts, with 20 k from the rears.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just to flip the coin I had Falkens 452s on the Zed and it didn't thank me for it, however the fronts were 225/40 on a 8.5" rim. Handling was mediocure at best and tramlined quite bad at times depending on the camber of the road. I swapped the wheels out from the ACS 8.5x18s front and rear to 8x18s all round fitted with Vredestein Quadrac 3 all seasons 225/40 front and rear and the car handles and rides much nicer and banished all tramlining. It was probably more down to the front tyres being very slightly stetched on the rim. Personally I would spend a tad more and go Michelins or Continentals if an everyday runner.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

My 3.0i is on 16" wheels, and at one time "tramlined" pretty badly. However I could not accept that new tyres could possibly be the cause. I put it down to body flexing. So I fitted a front cross brace but apart from a slight reduction in scuttle shake there was no improvement in tramlining. I then made and fitted a rear brace, again with little improvement. A pair of side braces were made and fitted and "Hey Ho" no more tramlining. In my case my supposition appeared to correct, lack of body stiffness. I am now quite happy with the handling, and as a side effect my drive train clunk is slightly reduced, so it would appear that the rear axle changed position between acceleration and over run. However it is still annoying and will be cured this coming winter.

Flight
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

mine tamed badly so i swapped the 225 for narrower 205, the transformation was amazing, im back on wider tyres now but the offsets are correct, its back again but not as bad.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Zelda tramlined quite a bit with Avon ZV5's on the rears and Michelins on the front. Changed the fronts to ZV5s to match the rears, Complete cure. Steady as a rock! :D 8J 17inch Alpina wheels.
Hope you find a fix!
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.