Strut Towers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Strut Towers

Post by Inferno »

Is it possible to repair slightly bented strut towers? over the years and possibly because of the stiff/lowered suspension, my front struts are slightly damaged, what i mean is that the distance between the strut towers holes has slightly changed, that means that when it comes the time to change the top mounts they won't fit the strut tower holes for some milimiters.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Strut Towers

Post by lightning »

You mean the holes have enlarged, or the metal has bent?

Either way, I'm sure it's repairable....maybe by welding a plate in.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

The metal has bent towards the hood, anyway i visited the mechanic it's called the mushroom effect and it's an easy fix, you just hit the tower with a hammer... sort of... i have to fix it because otherwise i will not be able to install new top mounts when the time comes and i will not be able to install a strut brace

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Searching the web about the strut towers problem which i have started fixing by visiting a body shop, installing new top mounts and a strut brace, i found this solution by Turner Motorsport http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-191-e ... -pair.aspx
They are actually a pair of OEM Reinforcement Plates standard on all Z3M roadsters and Coupes, the part number is 31312489795. Is it compatible with standard Z3s? Should i install them? Has anybody install them in a standard Z3?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi - thanks for sharing the information - whilst these sort of reinforcements are standard upgrades on rally cars, I didn't know the front strut mounts were a general weakness on the Z3. :shock:
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Del wrote:Hi - thanks for sharing the information - whilst these sort of reinforcements are standard upgrades on rally cars, I didn't know the front strut mounts were a general weakness on the Z3. :shock:
Yes me too :P, what i have learned is that E36s and Z3s had weak strut towers, they fixed this problem in the E46 model and afterwards.

BTW, i just received the Z3M reinforcement plates (20€) and tomorrow i am receiving new meyle top mounts. These in addition to hammering straight the struts and a strut brace should fix the problem once and for all.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Does anybody knows if part number
31 33 1 094 288 (top mount gaskets)
Is necessairy when you install new top mounts? It isn't available in BMW greece and i have to wait like 15 days to arrive from Germany.. can i use my existing gaskets or i must install new gaskets no matter what?

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

A strut brace will also help as these [the strut top parts] will not only do the same job as the strut plates but join them together to provide additional strength.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I just installed new top mounts, new bump stops, the Z3M strut reinforcement plates and had the srtut towers fixed, car feels much much softer over bumps, and i am delight to say that the car height has been raised. I can now stick 2 fingers between the rire and the wheel housing.

New challenge is to fit a strut brace because with the addition of the reinforcement plates there aren't many threads left in the top mount bolts for the strut brace to be installed..