Lazy screen wash on one side.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Lazy screen wash on one side.

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
Not quite sure what's going on with my screen wash (simple system, with no headlight wash). The two jets on the driver's side just about reach the bottom of the windscreen, while the other side works fine. I therefore rule out a faulty pump. If I block the left side, the driver's side then works fine. I therefore don't think it's some crap in the pipe. If I activate the screen wash whilst the bonnet is open, then both sides work fine.
Would any of you chaps know of a trick to sort it out before I go to the breaker's to scavenge some pipe and jets?
Thanks all,

Boosh.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Lazy screen wash on one side.

Post by Tufarlian »

It's probably the jet. They have non return valve built in that has a habit of failing.

If you release the bonnet soundproofing you may well find the jet is leaking.

They are not very expensive. About £3 I think.

Mark
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The washer pipe can be squashed when the bonnet is closed.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I think you should check the gauze filter at the bottom of the pump, Sounds like the pump is ok to supply one side only but not both. the get clocgged up and produce poor flow for the pump.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Tanks, chaps,
I'll swap the jets over tomorrow and see what happens.
In case it goes to that, is the pump easy to get to?

Boosh.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

gookah wrote:I think you should check the gauze filter at the bottom of the pump, Sounds like the pump is ok to supply one side only but not both. the get clocgged up and produce poor flow for the pump.
Yes. Could be. My car's had that problem as well :-)
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Gazza wrote:The washer pipe can be squashed when the bonnet is closed.

This would be my bet as well. The washer hose is routed around the bonnet hinge and protected by what looks lie a cable management tube. This protection tube became deformed on my car causing the same symptoms you describe.

So I would check

1. The hose around the hinge for deformation
2. The washer bottle to make sure there is no crap in the filter.
3. Have the nozzle off to make sure the non return is working properly.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

It's obviously not a filter or jet problem, as he has stated that it works fine with the bonnet open so it must a pipe getting squashed when he closes the bonnet!
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I did have a quick look at the pipe and was surprised at how new it looked (I've only had the car 11 months, and it came with very little service receipts). I did yesterday have the 'lazy' jet out and blew into it from each end, without feeling any difference, so the valve inside may indeed have had it. The weather is very good today, so I'll swap the jets over and have a go at the filter mentioned in previous posts. Can I get to it from above, or do I need to jack'er up?
Thanks for the pointers, so far,

Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, those who pointed at a clogged-up screenwash filter were right. And those who pointed at a faulty pre-nozzle valve were right, too: the filter was indeed properly gunged up, but after cleaning it (as well as the bottle, of course) and reffiting it, all worked perfectly well, apart for a bad leak at the valve, under the bonnet. I took the valve out to have a looksie. It leaks from a little hole on the side where (I think) air goes in when water flows out. Put it back, and now the once-lazy side just about gets wet. So I will need to replace the valve after all. I had a look on real OEM but couldn't see whether that part is common to other BMWs. Would you Wise Men know what model I can scavenge one from, as there's a few scrappies?
Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
P.s. I didn't let that bother me: I went for a lovely roof-down drive in the Normandy countryside...
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Part number 61661389040

Common to all Z3s and 3, 5 and 7 series as well

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxre ... 1661389040
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks,
I grab my pliers and I'm off to trhe scrappie

Boosh..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I resurrected the NR-valve on mine by cleaning it. First I gave it a good soak in warm soapy water, then I blew water through it using a squeezy bottle, and then finally I dried it out with compressed air (just a portable tyre compressor). Now squirting like a good un'. If it doesn't work after that, then buy a new one.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks, I'll try that first as there's only a handful of BMWs at the breakers' near me.
Boosh.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I'm a big fan of fixing things rather than just replacing but if it is the jet they are one of the few things are are really quite cheap and your local dealer will probably have them in stock....