Z3 vibrations

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Z3 vibrations

Post by Inferno »

I have noticed a change of rolling quality recently, whole car and steering wheel vibrates especially in the range between 100-140 km/h and tyre pressures are dropping quite often. New tyres? Alloys needs fixing? Bushings? Car needs allignment?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Z3 vibrations

Post by colb »

Could be any of the things you have listed, inspection of wheels tyres and suspension steering joints and ball joints should reveal whats going on to cause the vibration. First check would be to see if you have lost any balance weights from the wheels or just have the wheels balanced to see if that cures it. Loss of tyre pressure may point to rim corrosion around the tyre bead resulting in a slow leak and loss of pressure.
Tyres would need to be taken off the rims to check if this is the cause and cleaning up any corrosion found before refitting the tyres.
If the cause is any of the steering or suspension joints then inspection of these should reveal any play, best done with the car raised off the ground and by rocking the wheel around and pulling and pushing it in and out whilst looking at the joints, ball joints to detect any movement that may be evident. Any worn joints should be replaced followed by an alignment check. Pay particular attention to the steering track rods at both ends you may have worn joints that are causing the vibration.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Thanks for the reply, all the joints and bushings have been checked 2 months ago and they are in good condition.. also wheel weights was checked and replaced 3 months ago but only in the rear wheels

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Brest get the fronts balanced then as a first step.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Thank's i will start from there. Most logical problem i think should be the wheel weights because the problem appears in the exact range 100-140 km/h. After 140kph car rolls smoothly..

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Yes from what you say it sounds like fronts are out of balance particularly if it occurs at a set speed then disappears.
How old are the tyres and what condition are they in, if the tread is low or side walls weak it might be worth putting a new set on the front and have them balanced rather than mess about with the old tyres.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Inferno wrote:I have noticed a change of rolling quality recently, whole car and steering wheel vibrates especially in the range between 100-140 km/h and tyre pressures are dropping quite often. New tyres? Alloys needs fixing? Bushings? Car needs allignment?

Didn't have a Beach Boys CD playing at the time did you? :D
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.