Steptronic gearbox - opinions

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Steptronic gearbox - opinions

Post by alec.m »

I`ve been on the lookout for a 3.00 for a while now and have discounted autos but this has cut down on my choice and I`ve missed a few in the colour combos I`m attracted to. My only experience of auto boxes is from 40 years ago, didn`t like them, so I`m wondering whether I`m being unnecessarily biased. Also is there anything I should be aware of with them that indicates expense on the way! Thanks Alec
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Steptronic gearbox - opinions

Post by Mr Silver »

There is no getting away from it, you can't drive an auto transmission in the same manner as a manual - if you want to get the best out of it. Granted, we all know that an auto is great in traffic jams but that's not why Z3 owners have them. Just my opinions...

Nothing will beat them at a standing start, you can easily be a cars length in front with time to look over your shoulder before anything else moves. You need to prepare fast overtaking moves by dropping into sport mode and setting your gear ratio early. Get it right and a 3.0i will provide you with a ride to remember every time (and the beautiful sounds to go with it!). And there always seems to be plenty left in the pot...

It's not difficult to beat the traction control so you've got to be good with the gas to get the best out of the beast. But get it right and you'll laugh out loud.

But... if you're into white knuckle power slides and doughnuts it won't happen. You've got to be good with the brakes on fast roundabouts or it can get unglued and quite exciting very rapidly.

Also, in a RHD Z3 auto there is nowhere to park your left foot comfortably so your body is unbalanced and you tire quickly when travelling fast anywhere. This was a major oversight by BMW in my opinion and must surely have lost sales I suspect. I made my own foot rest and it changed the entire ride experience.

Change for a manual, yes sure, on the odd occasion when a little help from a seasoned right foot would brighten up the day. But stomping from Calais to Aachen and on to Cologne - no chance, the silky smooth effortless delivery keeps the smiles wide in a drivers paradise. Praise a bit over the top? Naagh - you'll love it!

Mine sometimes refuses to kick down on occasion which can get annoying but I suspect a transmission fluid change could sort that.

Regards
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks Mr Silver, that`s a good review and it will certainly let me look at autos on sale with a different attitude. Love my 2.8 but having been a passenger in a 3.0 I`m wanting one.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Agree with all Mr Silver says.
If you intend to use the car on the track auto's are not good but with 5 speed they are very good now. Choice is good. Auto, sport and manual change, and you don't really feel the changes, and the latest 8 speed is effortless.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks Brian4, I`m totally convinced I`ll be happy with an auto now.
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

alec.m wrote:Thanks Brian4, I`m totally convinced I`ll be happy with an auto now.
Modern auto boxes are great compared to 40 years ago.

That said Alec, I would try one first before buying.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

tfp wrote:
alec.m wrote:Thanks Brian4, I`m totally convinced I`ll be happy with an auto now.
Modern auto boxes are great compared to 40 years ago.

That said Alec, I would try one first before buying.

Agree totally with the test drive. They take a while to get used to, The first time I had our 530d I pulled up to the traffic lights and went to press the clutch pedal and now is the opposite keep forgetting to press the clutch at the lights and nearly stall. :head: :lol:
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks all, definitely have a test drive. There's so few decent 3.0s about it opens up the choice including autos in the search. Dealers seem to be asking silly money at the moment.
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

alec.m wrote:Thanks all, definitely have a test drive. There's so few decent 3.0s about it opens up the choice including autos in the search. Dealers seem to be asking silly money at the moment.
I started looking for a nice Z3 about six months ago, the prices do seem to be on the up for low mileage ones.

But seen some priced up at ten grand, does anyone know if any have been sold for that sort of money?

For ten thousand I think I'd be looking hard at a Z4 coupe 3.0cc
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

We purchased a 3.0 auto a few weeks ago and have to say I prefer driving it to the 2.8 manual ,great on the slow commute to work but goes rather well in sport or tiptronic once you get used to not hitting the brake!
As for the silly prices this one came from a main dealer as a P/X, two owners from new , full history and the original hardtop all for under 4K................................
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

Julie Z3 wrote: As for the silly prices this one came from a main dealer as a P/X, two owners from new , full history and the original hardtop all for under 4K................................
Sounds like a nice car Julie, what was the mileage so we can make comparisons?
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

The mileage was 103,000, which is 20K odd more than our 2.8 which is a 98 model, but she runs beautifully and with a full main dealer history you would probably expect that?
I don't do a huge amount of miles but do use it to commute every day so certainly not going to be a garage queen so the highish mileage wasn't a concern to us
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

Julie Z3 wrote:The mileage was 103,000, which is 20K odd more than our 2.8 which is a 98 model, but she runs beautifully and with a full main dealer history you would probably expect that?
I don't do a huge amount of miles but do use it to commute every day so certainly not going to be a garage queen so the highish mileage wasn't a concern to us
A lovely car to commute in.

A 3.0 has just gone onto auto trader for £9495 with 57,000 miles on, so I'd say you did well at under 4k with the hardtop.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

'Y' Reg as well....................!!! What does that make an 02 worth?

I'm pleased with my 3.0i Z3 auto, although i'm not what you'd call a petrolhead with a string of previously owned sports cars. In fact she's my first convertible, my first genuine sports car and i've been driving for over 40 years. That said i'm not dead from the neck down...lol....and genuinely don't think I could do better unless my numbers come up and I could afford a Lambo.

Had her for around 4 years and only recently been using the tiptronic box more often. It gives me enough 'real driving' experience akin to a genuine manual but rapid pace aside i've always seen her as a mountain tourer, winding roads, occasional straight so auto is fine but again I must confess she's underdriven having only notched up around 5k under my ownership and the closest we've got to a mountain is the humpback bridge up the road. :lol:

I