Seat Problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Seat Problem

Post by leach62 »

Hi Everybody

I hope this finds everyone well? I have just been out in the car and went to adjust the seat. Problem is it goes up and down and forwards but not back. Runners look clear now, pulled out a pen, pair of glasses and £1.50p. Anyone have any ideas what the fault may be?

If I have to take the seat out would someone be kind enough to guide me to the thread that might help please.

Regards Jim :head:
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Seat Problem

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Jim

There are a couple of connectors under the seats, so perhaps a lose wire? If there is play in the seats, you may find that the seat bushes have disintegrated or broken. There is one for each 'kebab'/screw bar (two for each seat). This is an easy job providing you have the correct Torx bits (T50 and T25) and a bit of room. Look at the "Knowledgebase" on this site, here is the link: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=30402
It's a worthwhile job doing if you have the seats out anyway, and the seat bushes are usually available from 'Aceman' on this site too.

Cheers
Pete
Last edited by Koolflyer on Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi,
If the seat goes one way but no back, I would rule out a loose wire, as it is the same motor for both: one motor for up/down, and one for forwards/backwards. The seat switch is more likely. Spraying contact cleaner straight onto the switch is unlikely to sort it, as it probably won't penetrate enough. There is a thread on the forum that explains how to strip the switch without removing the seat. Then a good spray of contact cleaner might be all that's needed. I'll see if I can find the thread and post here, otherwise have a go at using the forum's search engine
Replacing the seats' bushes might therefore wait until nicer weather...
Hope that helps,

Boosh.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Guys

Thanks for the info, I will have a look tomorrow and see. A friend of mine is popping over and he is a dab hand at this sort of thing so I will keep my fingers crossed. Fresh pair of eyes and all that.

Regards Jim
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Here it is:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ch#p393458
Hope that works,

Boosh.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Thanks Boosh

Whatever it is it does not look like a quick fix, will let you know how I get on.

Regards Jim
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I don't remember cleaning out the switch taking long, probably 30mn or so. Taking the seat out doesn't take long at all: it's only 2 nuts and 2 bolts. Then, as long as the alignment of the two runners is preserved (when replacing bushes), it's more daunting than difficult. But if you mess up reassembly of the 'kebabs', it can take a while until you get it right, but it's unlikely that you'll need to go that deep into it.
Let us know how you get on.

Boosh.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Its the switch that is failing, got the details from the loom but which number is the part number, it is certainly not clear to me. Or does anyone know where I can find the part number, my car is a facelift June 2000?

Regards Jim
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Would you believe it put it all back in and it works fine now, must have been a loose connection, would still be keen to find the part number. :P

Regards Jim
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Or gunk in the switch.
Does this help: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=52_0806 ?

Boosh.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Boosh

I think the electrics for the seat or the loom would be a great help, or the link to the PDF for spares. Thanks

Regards Jim
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

This is the best i can do, I'm afraid:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_4930

Boosh.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Boosh

Might be No 4 or No 6 thanks for your time and effort.

Regards Jim
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Had the same problem in that motor working up & down OK but motor at front of seat had a loose connection where it entered motor and would work if wire held in certain position. Fixed it by taping wire to switch and now OK for past 2 years(tempting fate?)
On a related subject-was thinking of changing to a Z4 but most of the 3l ones seem to have M tech seats which I don't think I would fit into very well!!.
I always prefer the beige(Oregon) coloured seats as find black makes the cabin a bit dark & gloomy?
My question is - how easy would it be to sell the M tech beige seats and buy the standard heated beige seats (possibly I suppose with door cards) as I cant see much on Ebay and am not sure where else to look.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten