So it's still not handling how I'd want...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Martin Utzon Terp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: So it's still not handling how I'd want...

Post by Martin Utzon Terp »

My 1998 2.8 did have same issues when i bought it a year ago.

I've replaced all the bushing (PowerFlex Poly-bushes purple). The wishbones and trackrods was also changed to new ones and Bilstein B12 Pro Kit (with Eibach springs) and new M-top mounts fitted.
First everything was done at the front, and the car still was very unstable when driving over small bumps or white lines on the road.

Then I fitted purple PowerFlex in the rear trailingarms (excentric) and Black Series rear beam-bushing. The problem was almost gone - there were very little unstability left in the rear.
I fitted Brigdestone RE050 on the rear (they have were hard "shoulders" = the tire is very stiff) and the problem is gone.

It's a big job - but the car rides better than new - more like an M-Roadster.

The front M-mounts was mounted "incorrectly" - the left side was going on the right side and vice versa. Why? More camber and caster... :wink:
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Rear beam bushes will more than likely be worn out by now. My car passed MOT and specific requests to a regular mechanic to check them. They said the had slight play but nothing major. It turned out they were totally shot. Diff bush too.
New bushes in there and no more 'steer from the rear'.
Bushes are service items on any vehicle a decade and a half on I have learnt.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Like Martin, I have a 1998 2.8 which always handles well at speed and on good roads, but it too is not so stable on patched up roads or white lines, it becomes a bit skittish. Apart from the shocks (which surely must need replacing) I've changed all the bushes, control bars, drop links and tyres etc. However, not touched the rear end yet apart from the tyres. Sounds like some replacement work to be done there then.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Rear beam bushes etc and rear shocks are on the list. It's reasonable at the moment so I'm not fiddling with it any more for now.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Good to hear that you got it sorted!

Or at least on the way to being sorted.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Koolflyer wrote:Like Martin, I have a 1998 2.8 which always handles well at speed and on good roads, but it too is not so stable on patched up roads or white lines, it becomes a bit skittish. Apart from the shocks (which surely must need replacing) I've changed all the bushes, control bars, drop links and tyres etc. However, not touched the rear end yet apart from the tyres. Sounds like some replacement work to be done there then.
Get it done, you won't regret it, any play in the rear affects these cars and you can be certain that shocks from 1998 are weak!
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks Dino D sounds like good advice, thanks for your input. Martin, looks like we've still got a few more jobs to do.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Has anyone fitted these to their 2.8? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Rear-B ... SwhcJWKncs

Do they actually improve handling significantly?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

The front ones do. The rear one harder to tell, I've got one but not done much driving since fitting.

I can tell you that if your rear beam and other rear bushes are the problem the braces do nothing, mine was all over the place when they were worn and that was with a brace and all the front bushes done.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

If you can't tell when the bushes are worn until you change them then it's a bit annoying really as I like to know I've got my money's worth out of each component :)

Are there any Z3 friendly purchasing car dealers in Cheshire/Staffs/Derbys area? I think it might be time to admit defeat that it isn't going to be a car I can live with.

Any idea on value as it's an orinoco special edition (T 1999) so it's not an ordinary 2.8. About 84000 miles on it. Nearly full service history? I've asked BMW if they know how many were made so I can get an idea of whether it's actually a proper special edition. I rarely see any for sale in the same colour and with the proper standard seats with the coloured piping.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Ah ah! We're back on the old chestnut of special editions!
You would have thought that an efficient German company would have kept records of how many cars were made but apparently not. No one can give a definitive answer. The excuse I was given when I enquired about my 'Mora' was that the "Individuals" were just that and each one was tarted up from a standard car. Then again it may be that because all of the Z3's were made in good ol' USA so decent records were not kept!
From what I have seen being a 'Mora' or an 'Orinoco' or any of the other "limited" editions makes preciously little difference to the value and a better condition 'standard' car will be worth more.
At the age of our vehicles it is all about condition rather than the original specification.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

I thought the individuals were just customer driven specific orders and not a distinct group as such and the special editions were a distinct factory driven group? Do you have an 'individual' plate under the bonnet?
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I've only had Zeberdee for a week so my experience of a Z3 is very limited. Prior to this car, I had an X1/9 which was in a class of its own when it came to road manners. My Z3 can be a bit squirmy but I live in rural Herefordshire where the roads are usually covered in mud and a little rough to say the least. As a rule, the car is pretty planted on its 17" rims and corners as if on rails. Turn in is deceptively positive (compared to the X1/9 which was totally neutral and went exactly where you pointed it without any fuss or bother) and the steering is very firm - and occasionally does wander a bit according to the road.

It would appear that this is a characteristic of the model albeit to varying degrees so I suppose it's a matter of adjusting one's driving style to suit and always expecting the unexpected!
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

The "individuals" were factory cars; see here http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3 ... ograms.htm
Yes there is a plate under the bonnet that states "individual" with the name and paint code.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Is there any way of tossing the original suspension and replacing it with a multi link rear for example?

A rough potholed bumpy sunken mess suspension set up is what is needed to be honest. There is no smooth tarmac anywhere near. It's all sunken or patched or painted on. None of which the Z3 can deal with. It doesn't over react to every bump either which makes it impossible to predict. It's such a shame as the rest of the car apart from the handling is really good.