Headlight Adjustment?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Headlight Adjustment?

Post by TWO »

BMW Z3 2.2 2002

Does anyone know the height & width dimensions to allow me to check the headlight beam settings?

The Zed passed its MOT today.....but only just. They claimed that the nearside light was aiming high which could be caused by the bulb being poorly fitted :(

Rather than remove the air filter to check......the garage decided to crank the headlight adjusters by several rotations.

I'd rather take the whole bulb assembly apart and re-check. :)

Cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Headlight Adjustment?

Post by Southernboy »

The bulb fitting cannot be "mis-fitted" It is a bayonet type fitting. The bulb fits into a plastic holder which in turn fits into the headlight housing. There's only one way it can go in and also lock into position.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Southernboy wrote:The bulb fitting cannot be "mis-fitted" It is a bayonet type fitting. The bulb fits into a plastic holder which in turn fits into the headlight housing. There's only one way it can go in and also lock into position.
Cheers Southernboy

That's what I thought; but I was not going to argue when an MOT pass was at risk :(

I'm still going to double check the bulb fittings, but would still like to know the distance/height/width dimensions against a 90 deg wall to ensure the headlight beams are all correct :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The headlight unit probably needs moving down slightly - easy to do by adjusting the bottom retaining bolts and pushing the unit backwards and tighten up or undoing the top 2 bolts, winding the holding screws out a bit and then retightening the bolts
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It's common for the plastic adjustment screws to break and just spin, but if they are working then use them to set the headlight aim where possible. The 4 outer bolts that physically hols the headlight to the car are adjustable to align it to the body/bumper/bonnet.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Rather than adjusting the whole unit, wouldn't it be easier to adjust the light beam by using the two star-shape adjustment screws on the unit? One's up/down, the other left/right.

Boosh.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Boosh wrote:Rather than adjusting the whole unit, wouldn't it be easier to adjust the light beam by using the two star-shape adjustment screws on the unit? One's up/down, the other left/right.

Boosh.
That will work too - trouble with this way is that I reckon they will have been right in the first place and its more likely to be the bolts that have shifted slightly. My 2nd issue is that I never get the right screw and when I do I move it the wrong way resulting in the requirement for a proper headlight aligning session one evening :head:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Hi All

I really do appreciate all of the advise & comments on how to adjust the headlights BUT that is not the issue :lol: ......all of the adjusters work absolutely fine 8-)

I just need to repeat my original request : -

I'm still going to double check the bulb fittings, but would still would like to know the distance/height/width dimensions against a 90 deg wall to ensure the headlight beams are all correct :)

Seriously, many many thanks for all the advise to date 8-) :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

bertiejaffa wrote:I used this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oz5ynBlx7k
Many thanks bertiejaffa, I'll give it a go..........
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

good vid

Sent from my iPhone
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The headlight should point downwards by 1%, which means 1cm for every meter you are from the car. You just need to measure the height of the beam pattern right in front of the car, and then again at 1m to ensure the drop is there. Personally I'd measure it at something like 5m and look for a 5cm drop as it will be easier to measure.