ICE sitrep

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

ICE sitrep

Post by Bin »

In case this might be of interest to others:

I had an issue with the front speakers not working which I first noticed when I replaced the original BMW Business tape player with a modern head unit because a: the original sounded awful and b: I wanted a USB unit to obviate the need to carry around hoardes of antediluvian tapes. Initially, I didn't connect the 'remote' wire to the white wire that activates the relay on the amplifier board located on the Left, or N/S, speaker unit. So I did, as advised by other members, but still no joy.

As a means of elimination I reconnected the original unit and faded to front speakers only to be rewarded with a reedy wailing from the tweeters only. Clearly the amp was titified.

As the new head unit is 50W I decided to just by-pass the amp altogether which was relatively easy using scotch connectors as, like some, I don't like chopping looms around more than I absolutely have to. The speaker wires are easy to identify in a loom as they are twisted together in pairs. Accordingly, I connected the Black / Brown to the Blue / Grey (RF-) and Blue / Black to Blue / Violet (RF+) then Yellow / Brown (LF-) and Yellow / Red (LF+) direct to the speaker. I also filled the speaker void with foam material to prevent audio loss into the body cavity. I left the plug unconnected from the amp board as this is now entirely redundant.

As a point of interest, the speakers were Harmons and thus, one presumes, of reasonable quality.

The interesting thing was that I tested the O/S speaker using the original unit which was still plugged in and it sounded plenty loud enough to me questioning the need for the original treacherous amplifier unit?

Anyway, all is now well and the sound quality has some oomph to it at last. Not quite what I am used to in my studio but adequate - at least for the time being!

I would have liked to have posted some pictures to illustrate the above but have no idea how to so any pointers on this would be gratefully received!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: ICE sitrep

Post by bertiejaffa »

you need to put photos into a internet photo page like photobucket

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7658
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Thanks bertiej - will do
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

The sound system in my car is the bane of my life.. l replaced the head unit with an alpine one and swapped the footwell and rear speakers for modern better quality variants. I think the mistake l made was to keep the factory fitted amp in the loop. Therefore l have the output signal from a 50w head unit then being 'amplified' by some piddly little 1990 tech amp. It sounds absolute crap compared to the system in my cheap chappy old korean everyday car.. leagues apart!

Now thinking of removing amp and fitting 3 way crossovers, replacing footwell speakers with proper woofers, upgrading tweeters and maybe fit small mid range speakers into the doors (be interested to hear from anyone else whose had a go at fitting speakers into the door cards? )
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I was toying with the idea of a three-way set up too, Alan, only I had my eye on the centre tunnel as a possible location for the mid-range but until I know what is / isn't behind both sides I'm not committing myself.

The alternative is, as you suggest, the door cards - assuming there is sufficient room behind.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dont forget your rear speakers behind the seats....
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

My I.C.E. sounds come from under the bonnet..................! Generally I'm too busy enjoying the :drive to listen to music. I listen to music at home. Sit back close my eyes and let it take me over.... 8-).. Man.

:cheers

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.