Starting to get there (then bang...)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Starting to get there (then bang...)

Post by mrscalex »

Today was the last of the big work I had to do to get the Z3 looking more presentable when we put a replacement bonnet on. The car had been suffering from awful lacquer peel on the bonnet, boot lid and rear bumper and rather than having the car resprayed I went down the route of swapping panels. I'm keeping all the original panels and when the car is re-sprayed in 2-3 years time they'll go back on.

I'm actually quite pleased with how it looks. it was taken off the road as a daily driver 2 years ago and was looking very sorry for itself. Apart from the lacquer peel the inside looked bombed out but after its first (very thorough) clean in probably 10 years the inside is actually very nice with little wear.

So here she is.

I decided to celebrate by putting the Bosch Aero wipers on that had just arrived. Now I must admit I find it a challenge working out how to get the wipers on with the bonnet in the way. But I figured it must be doable with the bonnet up. All was going well until with the wiper off, the arm slipped from my fingers and hit the screen like a bullet. Cracking it with a 12" diameter spider crack :(

Now I've got a breaker sat next to it with a perfect screen. The question is would a DIY screen swap be sensible? I'm figuring probably not...

So it looks like Autoglass on the car insurance. If anyone has had a screen replaced is there anything to watch out for and make sure the job is done properly? Is there only one type of screen or are there different tints?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Starting to get there (then bang...)

Post by Mor61e »

Car is looking much nicer now :)

Sorry I've never had a windscreen replaced so can't help with that but to save you smashing another one when changing wiper blades again, turn the ignition and wipers on and then remove the key when they are at full height on the windscreen :wink:
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Mor61e wrote:to save you smashing another one when changing wiper blades again, turn the ignition and wipers on and then remove the key when they are at full height on the windscreen :wink:
Well I did wonder if that was the trick. A little too late unfortunately as I doubt it would have slipped from my hand done like that.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

mrscalex wrote:Now I've got a breaker sat next to it with a perfect screen. The question is would a DIY screen swap be sensible? I'm figuring probably not...

So it looks like Autoglass on the car insurance. If anyone has had a screen replaced is there anything to watch out for and make sure the job is done properly? Is there only one type of screen or are there different tints?
The windscreen frame is actually the primary rollover precaution - car goes over the weight of engine pulls the front down, lifting the rear up using the frame as the pivot point. When I had my windscreen changed about 3 or 4 years ago I ended up getting it done by the local dealer. The new windscreen was hot bonded into the frame and held under pressure for an hour. There are lots of members who have used Autoglass without, as far as I am aware, having any problems.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I don't recommend you try doing it yourself as they are bonded in. Job for the professionals I would suggest. As you have a donor screen, if you could find a fitter who was happy to do it 'in their spare time' for a 'tip' that might save you having to go through your insurance.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

shouldn't cost more than £50 to have them swapped over I get them done for £30 trade to remove then refit after iv done whatever I need it out for
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks chaps.

If anyone knows of a reliable screen fitter in the Swindon area who might do the swap for me then please let me know.

Just out of interest, does the wipers and wiper trim panel need to come off to do the screen?
ImageImage
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Didn't think you could re-use a bonded in windscreen, can't see
you removing the good one without damage & then cleaning
all the adhesive off. Be suprised if you manage it or get
anyone to do it.

Bob
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Lancsbob wrote:Didn't think you could re-use a bonded in windscreen, can't see
you removing the good one without damage & then cleaning
all the adhesive off. Be suprised if you manage it or get
anyone to do it.

Bob
I did wonder that, hence why I asked the question. But beerbelly and his fitter seem happy enough with the process?
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yeah, you can reuse the screen - if you go for a proper full respray, or the frame needs some welding then the screen has to come out and get replaced. A skilled windscreen fitter will be able to do it.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Why not just claim on your insurance for a new screen?

It won't affect your premium or NCB. Tell them what happened if you want to be honest with them, and see if it's still covered.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

lightning wrote:Why not just claim on your insurance for a new screen?

It won't affect your premium or NCB. Tell them what happened if you want to be honest with them, and see if it's still covered.
That's where we finally got to last night. The problem is with a few insurers it can affect NCD and premiums and it took a while to bottom that out.

£75 excess for an approved fitter (National, Autoglass) and £100 for non-approved. So the thinking is for another £25 the BMW main dealer might as well do the repair. Unless anyone feels they (Dick Lovett) are likely to be less capable than National/Autoglass!
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The dealer will probably just contract it out to a windscreen fitter anyway. And if they don't, I'd probably rather have Autoglass or similar do it, as they fit windscreens every day, than have the workshop junior have a go!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote:The dealer will probably just contract it out to a windscreen fitter anyway. And if they don't, I'd probably rather have Autoglass or similar do it, as they fit windscreens every day, than have the workshop junior have a go!
It's Dick Lovett who have their own bodyshops and Ferrari/Porsche dealerships so I think (we're checking) that it would probably be done in house. My only real concern with National/Autoglass is if they don't fit an OEM screen. I would hope (again checking) that if Dick Lovett sub-contract it then it would at least still be an OEM screen.
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Autoglass fitted an OEM quarterlight as a replacement to mine some years back. I don't know if anyone else even manufactures replacement Z3 windscreens. You can always phone and ask and if they say it won't be OEM, then say you don't want it. That way you sort out what you will be getting before calling them out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:Autoglass fitted an OEM quarterlight as a replacement to mine some years back. I don't know if anyone else even manufactures replacement Z3 windscreens. You can always phone and ask and if they say it won't be OEM, then say you don't want it. That way you sort out what you will be getting before calling them out.

Cheers R.
Dick Lovett weren't interested in dealing with the insurance company so it's Autoglass now. National is the only approved repairer for Footman James so we're paying the extra £25 and going with Autoglass as a non-approved repairer. They said it would be non-OEM but as OEM was requested they'd try and do that but would need authorisation from FJ. Still waiting to hear back.

Approaching Dick Lovett had one consolation as they said I was by no means the only person to break a windscreen by letting an arm snap back!
ImageImage