Wheel spacers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wheel spacers

Post by Alan W »

Been looking at styles of staggered wheels, both oem and a multitude of aftermarket ones, but whichever way it's gonna cost a few hundred quid for either refurbing 2nd hand plus cost of new tyres... or biting the bullet and getting new carlos fandango rims and rubber all round.. but my own personal feelings are that my style 64s really go with the style and era of the car... but the only thing l don't like is the way they don't fill the facelift rear arches very well (width-wise). So l'm starting to think that some 25mm/1" spacers could be the way to go and eBay is awash with them. I was advised not to get the ones that bolt on to the hub but what l need to know is the name of the best makes.. l found one set of black ones that were about £70 but don't want to buy them on the basis that the higher priced ones must be the best.. l just want the best ones for safety's sake.. any recommendations anyone?

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Wheel spacers

Post by bertiejaffa »

opinions vary - myself and Gookah prefer the ones that bolt onto the hub - other people prefer the others. Mine are off ebay. Make sure they are hubcentric - I also needed some spigot rings again from ebay.

These are similar to the ones I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-20MM-BMW- ... 1c6511ea33
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Plus my vote for the bolt on type - and 20mm is better than 25mm. 20mm is just adequate to fill in the rear arch without placing excessive stress on the rear suspension by going wider to 25mm spacers.
If you want to further fill the arch, you might consider lower springs - but again not more than 20mm and absolute max 30mm. Even at 30mm lower, the exhaust tends to catch on some road speed bumps etc.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

if you use bolt to hub type make sure they are steel spacers and not aluminium, I run steel ones 20mm wide and they are perfect for my use.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I prefer bolt through, no reliance on the integrity of the spacer then. If you lower it, the wheels (top of) will go further in due to camber.
Bobafixit

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bobafixit »

I have a pair of brand new 20 mm wheel spacers if your interested, I bought them as a kit of 15mm & 20mm, I decided to go with the 15mm on the rear of my lowered 3.0 Z3.
They came from a company called MTEC (see the ebay item number below).

eBay item number:301473636043

I'm located not far from you in Basildon. If you are interested drop me a message and / or make me a offer.

Regards Rob
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Hi Bob PM sent
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'