Lowering exhaust tail pipe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Lowering exhaust tail pipe

Post by mrscalex »

After swapping bumpers (and possibly before but I never noticed) the exhaust is only about 3mm clear from the bumper.

I don't know how hot the tail pipe trim gets but I'm concerned it could melt the plastic or bash against the bumper going over a bump.

What's the normal way of getting the tail pipe to sit lower? Fit longer exhaust rubbers? Bend the mounting brackets on the exhaust? Something else?

Thanks.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Lowering exhaust tail pipe

Post by bertiejaffa »

The exhaust will damage the paint but not melt the plastic - the left pipe on my M has a worn rubber holder which makes it hang low - I have a replacement one but the nuts are too rusty to undo so for now I've inserted another bolt under the one that's currently there to hold the exhaust higher. I bet you just need to undo adjust and redo your bolt - If you look underneath it's obvious what you will need to do
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

bertiejaffa wrote:The exhaust will damage the paint but not melt the plastic - the left pipe on my M has a worn rubber holder which makes it hang low - I have a replacement one but the nuts are too rusty to undo so for now I've inserted another bolt under the one that's currently there to hold the exhaust higher. I bet you just need to undo adjust and redo your bolt - If you look underneath it's obvious what you will need to do
I did have a look as I spent quite a bit of time under the car yesterday putting the bumper on. But I couldn't see any way of adjusting the hanger. Perhaps that's because I assumed it was welded on and didn't look up high enough to see a bolt fixing. I'll have another look today.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

mrscalex wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:The exhaust will damage the paint but not melt the plastic - the left pipe on my M has a worn rubber holder which makes it hang low - I have a replacement one but the nuts are too rusty to undo so for now I've inserted another bolt under the one that's currently there to hold the exhaust higher. I bet you just need to undo adjust and redo your bolt - If you look underneath it's obvious what you will need to do
I did have a look as I spent quite a bit of time under the car yesterday putting the bumper on. But I couldn't see any way of adjusting the hanger. Perhaps that's because I assumed it was welded on and didn't look up high enough to see a bolt fixing. I'll have another look today.
Im assuming yours is the same as mine.. There is a metal hanger that is like a L shape that bolts to the floor of the boot and then the rubber hanger hangs off that and the exhaust is held to it with a bolt that can go through a number of different holes on the rubber hanger.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I'm not familiar with the underside of the ///M but I had a S.Steel full system fitted to my 2.8 recently and my exhaust burnt the paint on my bumper....

I recently purchased a Powerflex (EXH011) universal exhaust mount from Amazon (£8.80) which solved the problem for me.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerflex-perf ... rds=EXH011

Powerflex's web site shows the different types available and if you click on one of them, then click on "Fitting Instructions" the dimensions for that mount will be shown,
www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product ... 618/1.html
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

sirius-c wrote:I'm not familiar with the underside of the ///M but I had a S.Steel full system fitted to my 2.8 recently and my exhaust burnt the paint on my bumper....

I recently purchased a Powerflex (EXH011) universal exhaust mount from Amazon (£8.80) which solved the problem for me.
Thanks.

I didn't get a chance to look under the car in the end (I don't keep it at home) but I'm as certain as I can be the hanger brackets are fixed. So I guess it can only be done with longer mounting rubbers, possibly in conjunction with bending the pipe somewhere.

I'll have to unhook the rear end, see how far it wants to drop by itself and how much longer the rubbers need to be to make it all work. I'm guessing it's just a matter of a few millimetres.
ImageImage