abs faults

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

abs faults

Post by mickdev »

hi lads , ive got the usual abs lights on , I have had my diagnostic c110 code reader on and it says rear left wheel speed sensor electrical fault and abs pump fault error 71 showing up , I have the rear sensor as a spare part , hopefully after replacement it may be ok.
the error 71 is showing the abs pump fault and I have been quoted 75 quid plus 5 quid postage for the abs pump .
would the rear wheel speed sensor electrical fault cure the abs fault ? any suggestions would be very helpful , thanks in advance .
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: abs faults

Post by Alan W »

Do the sensor first.

Then take the car for a 5 mile drive after and if the lights stay on I would suspect the ABS module, a common fault.

My fault code was saying defective abs pump but it is rare for one of them to go wrong and its usually the module lying..

I had my module tested and then repaired by BBA Reman and it cost around £190
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Alan W wrote:My fault code was saying defective abs pump but it is rare for one of them to go wrong and its usually the module lying..

I had my module tested and then repaired by BBA Reman and it cost around £190
Seconded. My error 71 just needed the module replaced. I used one from a breaker as it was much cheaper than repair. It's a 10 minute job involving pulling the cable off and 4 bolts.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

thanks , I will swap the sensor and give it a go
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

Mine was the module too. Intermittant lighting of the abs light aand errors reading as sensor and pump fault.
Replaced with another module and the lights been out ever since.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

BBC Reman told me that the module is a common fault for cars of the era, the dry solder joints inside deteriorate with age and finally break. The module will give a variety of fault codes including suggesting that the pump is defective. Modules are car specific ie coded for engine size etc so if you get one from breakers you should endeavour to get one from same spec car, if not you will have to have it re-programmed. BMW will charge you an arm and a leg to do this but l understand that there are independent places that will do it substantially cheaper. Be careful with the clip that locks the electrical plug onto the module, for some reason l found it hard to work out how to release it and it is liable to break if you try to force it the wrong way and then you'll be in trouble. If you have trouble getting a secondhand module or getting one programmed like would highly recommend the services of BBC Reman who normally provide a 3 day turnaround and if memory serves me right your unit is guaranteed for life all the time you own your car. Goo luck and let us know how you get on..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

What I didn't like about the idea of a remanufactured unit is that it isn't. They just slice it open (which it wasn't designed to do) and reflow the solder joints. But I don't doubt it's effective. Just a lot of money.

It's certainly true you need to reprogram the module if it came off a different model car. But this can be done with the tool/cable set that costs about £40 from eBay - the one with INPA. It's not for the faint hearted and I'm not convinced I got it right. But if I didn't there have been no ill effects. Still I suppose I haven't used the ABS in anger since...
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

My ABS unit gave up so we swapped it for a second hand unit with the same part number, think it was around 40 quid if I remember. We didn't code it at first as it seemed to work fine and you could use the switch to turn it on and off, but it never used to flash as it should when the car was wheel spinning. We then used INPA to code it and it has been perfect ever since. So if you have INPA and are handy with it, it's worth picking up a second hand unit.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

i only use the car from the 1st may each year for 6 months then it is garaged for 6 months , ive taken it out and driven it and the fault lights have gone out , I think this happened last year too. I have bought a second hand module and pump from ebay for £45.00 with the same part numbers, the seller says it was taken from a car and is working ,so I do have back up if needed. I will leave it for a while see if the fault returns , if it does I will swap it over and do the sensor at the same time .it may be then worth getting the original refurbed for peace of mind for future use .