3G EWS Alarm learning switch question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RobTFC

M roadster S50

3G EWS Alarm learning switch question

Post by RobTFC »

Hi,

Just a quick one I hope someone can help with, I want to teach my car a second alarm fob so went through the usual procedure of removing the glove box however despite the fact I have successfully done this procedure on another Z3 I've hit a bit of a stumbling block with mine - I'm unable to properly free up the modules beneath the alarm as the wiring loom is cable tied very tightly to the chassis and there is a secondary connection that goes into the back of the top module which again is very tight. I could try pulling at it and reaching in with a blade or scissors to try and cut some of the cable ties but I know I'm tempting fate working so close to the loom with a knife so I'd rather avoid this! :shock:

I can remove the bung over the switch hole on the alarm, and it is not armed (as my current fob works fine) so I should just need to move the switch, however it is well hidden within the cavity on the module and I can't see in properly. I want to reach in with a cocktail stick or something but I'm not sure which way I'm going, could anyone tell me which side of the hole the switch is at when it is in the "normal" (non learning mode) position based on the orientation of the unit being mounted with me sat in front of it?

many thanks!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 3G EWS Alarm learning switch question

Post by Fender2004 »

I had the same problem when I recoded my alarm. I purchased a set of small metal spikes sort of one was straight with a point, one had a hook on and one was a 'L' shape. This was ideal for moving the switch even though I was unable to remove the alarm unit from the car.
I put the L shaped point to the right of the hole and moved it to the left reset the alarm then moved it back when done.
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

Perfect, thankyou!

I have acquired a strange looking (what I assume is a) trim removal tool, like a screwdriver handle with a strange curled point at the end. I'm going to try and use that to move the switch.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

The one I used had a sharp point on the end which I think helped when moving the switch
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

Hi,

Just a quick one to say thanks I managed to program my fob without removing the alarm unit! I also used my phone to take some video blind and reviewed it to help.

Just got to put her back together now - losing light and starting to get annoyed with one of those bronze coloured bolts that won't seem to engage so a job for tomorrow to finish up!

Cheers
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

One other tip I used a small mirror to give me a better view of the hole while moving the switch.

Glad you got it sorted