Post by Lancsbob »

Whilst looking for my transmission clunk i checked out my LSD & found
it no longer works (64k miles)& am wondering how many Z3s that are fitted with
LSDs are actually still working. They're all getting on now
so i reckon that 90% must have needed rebuilding, how many of us
would go to the trouble/expense of getting this job done. I'm not,
as my style of driving doesn't warrent the expense & am sure most
wouldn't notice if its working or not. So when your buying you Z3
with a LSD it probably doesn't work not that you'd know it.

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers Bob
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Limited Slip Diff Observation

Post by Southernboy »

How sure are you your's is an LSD diff ? There should be an"S" marked on the diff at the back which denotes LSD.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I thought all Z3s were limited slip with the non ///M have the TorSen and the ///M having clutch pack.

How do you know its broken? I recall a TorSen diff is difficult to test under no load situations. i.e raising the wheel and spinning one side will look like its broken when its not.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

LSD is standard equipment for the M version only.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My Sport 2.2i has a Torsen LSD 25%
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

I may be wrong but i was lead to believe that the 2.2 Sport had LSD as standard also
was told to check with one wheel off the ground. Where there 2 types of LSD fitted?
If this is incorrect would like to know how to check it. Does anyone bother doing so?
Glad to be put straight on these matters as i say it was only an observation.
I remember checking the spec of my car but have forgotten how to do this now but
seem to remember it saying it had LSD

Interesting reading your replies.

Cheers Bob
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Spinning the wheel doesn't work on a Torsen (Torque Sensing) diff. You can test it by launching the car and seeing how many black lines you get - two = LSD, one = No LSD or broken LSD. :wink: You probably are better looking at the markings on the diff casing to see what you have.

LSDs were not fitted to that many non-///M models, and they are incompatible with the traction control on the 1.9. So a 2.8 with an LSD with have ASC, rather than ASC+T. The traction control works a bit like an electronic LSD and brakes the spinning wheel, giving more power to the one with the grip.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I don't think my 2.2i has a LSD if I have to pull over to let some d*ck head pass if I floor it I get a red symble O with a /\ in it which I think is a warning that 1 wheel is spinning
peter2b
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Just checked build spec & it turns out i have
option 209 LSD 25% but you say that there isn't a way to
check if its working.
Is it electronicly controlled?

Bob
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

http://websworld.org/marcel/ta23/diff.html

Click the link and read... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Southernboy wrote:http://websworld.org/marcel/ta23/diff.html

Click the link and read... :wink:

Excellent.
You learn something every day....

Cheers Bob
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Brilliant article, thanks Barry :cheers
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

2.2 Z3 sport has a 3.38 ratio Torsen LSD. I had one fitted to my coupe for a couple a years.

As above, they initially appear to be like an open diff (you turn one side and the otherside turns the opposite way). The good thing is, incident aside, they are maintenance-free.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

c_w wrote:2.2 Z3 sport has a 3.38 ratio Torsen LSD. I had one fitted to my coupe for a couple a years.

As above, they initially appear to be like an open diff (you turn one side and the otherside turns the opposite way). The good thing is, incident aside, they are maintenance-free.
I always advise the MoT testers that mine has an LSD, but is that really necessary with the Torsen type? It's only because of the brake test rollers IIRC

Edited to add: Having read that linked item and some further information, I shall continue with the practice of advising the MoT testers NOT to use the rollers. The Torsen diff is a very clever device; I am impressed.
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

I have followed this item with interest, I have always wondered what kind of differential is fitted to my June 2000 3.0i. Unfortunately I can not find any documentary evidence to prove which type it is. I shall take off the rear cover and investigate. The car has or is supposed to have DSC fitted, and a 25% LSD according to its original spec sheet, if so it can't be a torsen unit, as they don't slip. I will post the findings.
Flight
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Flight wrote:I have followed this item with interest, I have always wondered what kind of differential is fitted to my June 2000 3.0i. Unfortunately I can not find any documentary evidence to prove which type it is. I shall take off the rear cover and investigate. The car has or is supposed to have DSC fitted, and a 25% LSD according to its original spec sheet, if so it can't be a torsen unit, as they don't slip. I will post the findings.
Flight
Mine has a 25% unit and is a Torsen. This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen shows what 25% means. 3:1
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi motco. Thank you for the information, most enlightening. I mistakenly assumed the 25% was angular displacement, and not a ratio.
Thanks again
Flight
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Flight wrote:Hi motco. Thank you for the information, most enlightening. I mistakenly assumed the 25% was angular displacement, and not a ratio.
Thanks again
Flight
You're welcome, Flight. I have to admit that it was all a bit vague to me too, until this thread popped up. I had the Torsen down as a soft option, but it sounds as if it is potentially quite useful. My Westfield has an open diff and on long fast power-on left hand corners on a track, the inside spins up unless I have a passenger on board. One day I'll swap it for an LSD... :colourful:
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Out of interest, I'm still interested in getting a 2.0 Cosmos special edition at some point - does any body know if these had the Torsen LSD (or any other type of LSD)? I can't imaging that some did and some not being a special.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

c_w wrote:2.2 Z3 sport has a 3.38 ratio Torsen LSD. I had one fitted to my coupe for a couple a years.

I'd love to hear how you got on with it. I'd like to try a shorter final in my 2.8 at some point and the 2.2 diff should be more readily available. Mine is not a Torsen though so might not be a straight swap. I've also read that the the Torsen is not as responsive as a clutch plated diff as per the older 2.8 and ///M models.