Help please - seat bush replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Help please - seat bush replacement

Post by martin41052 »

As the weather is fine today I thought that I would attempt the apparently "simple" task of replacing the passenger seat bushes on my Z3. I have received a set of lovely new bushes and I am attempting to follow the Knowledgebase guide.
I have removed the seat but I cannot get past the next step as although I have located the two T25 screws on the runner (presumably where indicated), I cannot find the T50 screw on the threaded bar.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction before either a) it starts raining, or b) the missus needs to use the car and I have to put the seat back as it was, still rocking!
Thanks.
[image]Image [/img]
Tilly

M roadster S50

Re: Help please - seat bush replacement

Post by Tilly »

At the top of your pic right at the front you should be able to see the T50 torx on the threaded bar.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Thanks Tilly but I am afraid that I am still at a loss here. When I remove the two T25 torx screws indicated, each arm slides backwards and forwards a few inches before hitting a "stop", but not far enough to expose any T50 screws. Should the sliding arms be able to move further backwards and forwards, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

This is very frustrating so any further help would be much appreciated.

Later: Actually, I've just looked again closely at the photos on the Knowledgebase guide for this job and in fact the T50 screws that are clearly visible there, are not visible on my seat. Maybe my seat is a different design or has longer runners or something..........very odd!

Later still: In a blinding flash of inspiration the answer just dawned on me! I had moved the seat electrically to the extreme of the runner before removing the seat, and all I had to do now was move it electrically back to the other end of the runner thus exposing the T50 screws.......brilliant!!! Now I can get on with the tricky bit :lol:
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Fantastic news. Just a bit of advice. Do one carrier at a time and make sure you refit the first one at exactly the same distance on the bolt as the one you still have to repair. Alignment is critical if the seat is to work properly.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Thanks for the advice Tilly. Job done, all put back together and seat working fine!
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Great news, now enjoy.