Central Locking stopped working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Central Locking stopped working

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Hi guys, I hope everyone is well! Its been a while since I was last on here! The Z3 has been giving sterling performance as per usual but just the other day when I pressed the key fob to lock the car, nothing happened. It was working fine one day then with no cause that I'm aware off it stopped. The LED's on both keys I have flash when I press the button but nothing happens at the car. I can still lock and unlock by using the key in the door, just the remote side of central locking seems to have stopped.

Can anyone suggest where to start troubleshooting? are there any fuses that can go etc?

Also for some time the drivers seat will not go up or down. This happened a long time ago and I have got used to it, but I thought I would ask while im here! The seat was fine when I was driving it, then when I returned to the car it was as low as it can go and would not go up.... it still moves back and forwards ok but just not up and down.

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Central Locking stopped working

Post by g8jka »

Try and tap the motor under the seat with something whilst operating the switch in the up/down direction, it may free it up.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The seat may have pinched wires. Mine did and this was how I hot-wired it to move it to get to the bolts to get it out - easy job.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44270&start=59
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Another fault with the seat is that the mechanics have got stuck as the very end of travel. There is a worm gear with a threaded block that runs up and down the gear. The block often gets stuck right at the end (fully lowered position) on the end of the thread where it has not been fully cut to shape.

Fixed by:
- Removing seat
- Remove 6 mm nut and screw off one end of the worm gear mounting.
- Twist to loosen and free up worm gear, not much force needed.
- You can then reassemble with the knowledge that you can fix it again next time it happens or cut several stiff plastic washers, split one side and slide them over the worm gear to stop the block from getting stuck on the end thread again.

As for the central locking, the receiver is in the inside rear view mirror. Look for the usual broken wires and old solder joints.

I use INPA to check that all door and lock signals and actuators are present and working in the ZKE (general module 4 that control many body functions). Usually there will be one or more missing and the central locking will work like magic once they are fixed.