Diagnostic hardware

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Diagnostic hardware

Post by Parki »

Hi - sorry if this has been raised before but I have searched previous threads & am getting more confused.

I am trying to buy diagnostic equipment for my 1.9 Z3 reg 3/97 with 20 pin socket under bonnet.
I have seen 2 that appear to be ok -

1 is BMW USB + OBD Diagnostic *Cable set* UK GT1 Ediabas Inpa DIS SSS Code Reader -
With TRUE Ignition Detection Circuit - £34.99 from cable shack

2nd is BMW Diagnostic USB Cable Code Reader Interface + Full Adapter Set INPA DIS SSS
New 1 click Automated Install Software +Latest Software - £33.99 from bc cables

But when I contacted bc cables re compatability - they responded saying it can be 'hit & miss'.

Likewise cable shack responded - 'some connectivity as BMW used ADS for coms & this product uses K-line'

Can anybody help me chose right equipment?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Diagnostic hardware

Post by colb »

I have the BC Cables kit for my 1999 1.9, it connects to my Laptop via the 20pin socket using the 20pin - 16pin obd2 cable that you may have to buy separately.
Laptop needs plenty of Disc space if you are going to load all the software that comes with the kit.
Hardest part is getting it installed on the laptop
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-FAULT-COD ... 2311680914

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnosti ... QeW7ScoL0Q

As yours is an early version see if anyone is near you with the kit to test to see if it will connect to yours, have a look at the members with diagnostic thread.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

I have the BC Cables version. It was a pig to load into my laptop. Windows 7.
Z3 not listed in menu. Use 3 series but a warning comes up saying it may not be compatible & it may not work.
Was very helpful sorting out my brake sensor problems & engine fault codes.
I'm not very computer literate so others may find it easier to use. :dunce:

Bob
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I've not tried my INPA and USB-based code reader on a car that early. For cars I've tested see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38095&p=353834

You may need an ADS interface to read all the modules on your car, and AFAIAA that needs a serial port and not USB.

I think your best bet is to ask someone local to you to test your car with their kit and see what it can read, and if it works, buy something similar.

As I mentioned in another thread, the instrument cluster changed 09/98 and I can read that on my car, but not on an earlier one, so that is one I would expect NOT to work for you with the above readers. INPA allows you to reset the service lights, but there are other tools for doing this, so it is not a massive loss.

You definitely want to be able to read engine and ABS/ASC faults though, so make sure that those work.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

ok thanks for all that - so now I need someone with diagnostic abilities for an early version near me (half way between Newcastle & Berwick just off the A1)
I see from the posted list it's either Lancaster or Scotland (both 3 hrs away) - anyone nearer?
Thanks