Radio Aerial

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Radio Aerial

Post by ericholm »

Hi all,

I removed the radio aerial from the rear wing and it seems to have some sort of booster box attached to its base, I left it all connected and just put it in the book space, plugged in the coax cable in the back of the stereo but get no radio signal, just static noise, any ideas?, Can I bypass the booster box?

Thanks in advnace.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Radio Aerial

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Not sure I understand what you've done. What's a 'book space''?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I think he meant to say "boot space"

The aerial does have an amplifier and if you removed it from the wing, you probably in doing so removed the earth connection, so it will no longer work.
Last edited by lightning on Thu 30 Mar, 2017 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Yes its a signal amplifier. You need it if you want to listen to the radio.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

It is as the others have stated a signal amplifier, it has a 12v live feed to it so care needed when disconnecting or connecting the unit. It also has an earth connection which it needs in place to make it work. Just lying in the boot space it will not work, it must be fixed to the car.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=65_0284

Its a complete unit so you cannot just take it off, they are quite hard to find secondhand and when they do crop up they are expensive.

I had similar problem to you and found a very thin wire beneath the top part where the aerial screws onto had corroded away, managed to solder a thin guage wire to what was left to bridge the gap and get it working again. Alternative is to source a replacement that would fit the hole and stand at a correct angle on the curved wing.

If you manage to get it working check the outer wing grommet has not gone hard, it might be worthwhile replacing it for a new one to avoid any water leaks into the boot. Get it from BMW don't pay the exorbitant prices they are selling for on ebay.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification everyone, and yes my typing is poor it was meant to say boot space! :lol:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Ah! I was trying to think if there was a special place for putting the owners manual etc! :lol: