Replacement aerial

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Replacement aerial

Post by Gareth 161 »

Hi
My aerial has broken off and top rubber bush all perished so decided to go to dealer and get the base and both grommets which surprisingly were not bad compared to second hand units on eBay.
Unfortunately I had lost all the top of the aerial and am not sure about how far to push the new unit up.
Moved the roof pump to get access and have put both rubber grommets in fairly easily but struggled to get the black bulb end on the new base unit through the top Grommet although managed it after using some silicon grease.
However something does not look quite right as the base of the screw in aerial is above the rubber Grommet and sitting on the top of the bulby bit of the base unit. Should I have pushed the bulby bit through the top Grommet or does it sit inside the top Grommet and the threaded part of the aerial screw through the Grommet?
Radio working ok but looks like the bulby bit is more vulnerable where it is and don't really want to buy another one!!!
Thanks
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Replacement aerial

Post by Gareth 161 »

Still confused as looking at several pictures of aerials fitted to cars, the aerial seems to be sitting on top of the Grommet with presumably the bulby bit inside the Grommet. However reading up on several forums and the instructions on this forum from mrscalex, the bulby bit should be pushed through the Grommet with the ridge sitting on top of the Grommet and might take a bit of effort which mine did.
Has anyone got a definitive answer please as don't want to try and push it back down through the Grommet again if not needed.
Gareth
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm as certain as I can be without double-checking on a car (none where I am today) that the bulb needs to be pushed through.

If you look at the shape of it it's bullet-shaped to help it through the grommet. I'd also reflect on the fact if it was meant to live below/flush with the grommet they'd never get broken. Which would be helpful I guess but not as designed! Having the bulb pushed through probably also helps make it water tight.

Happy to be corrected but that's how both of the cars I've done it on are.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This thread may help: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8613

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Yes thanks for getting back to me.
Followed the instructions from both the previous info and job was not too bad other than getting the bulb through the top of the Grommet which made me wonder if should be inside Grommet as looking at the very old perished one I found after it fell out of the wing, there seems to be what's left of an inner ridge a few mm below the top.
This also seems to fit with some of the pics I have seen.
Don't suppose it really matters but looks less likely to be broken again if further down in the Grommet
Again I was surprised how dear all of the parts are on ebay compared to bmw so anyone else considering the job might like to compare first before buying
Now to try and sort a stainless exhaust which could be a far more challenging job!
Thanks
Gareth
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Update to aerial fitting- checked old Grommet and there is a ridge inside so loosened the fitting bolt at the bottom of bracket and pushed top fitting down a fraction so that the bulb sits on this lower ridge. Looks much better now and less likely to be broken again.
Not quite so good on the exhaust position however as fitted a stainless rear box off ebay( which came from a e46 I think) and although fits after a bit of adapting, is far too loud on acceleration over 2000 revs. Sounds good at lower revs and on deceleration but ear splitting at full revs.
Kind of addictive in a way but will have to find a different rear box which is somewhere between this and stock.
Anyone any ideas for a cheap solution on a 3l with single pipe into rear box.
Gareth