PAS fluid on the drive

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

PAS fluid on the drive

Post by therealdb1 »

An unusual one this, to me at least!
Drove the Z with no problems in the morning. Jumped in late afternoon and started up to hear an unpleasant noise and no power assistance to the steering.
Popped the lid and opened the PAS fluid reservoir and all that was left was a few bubbles.
Locked up the Z and went out in the daily driver collecting some Dexron III while I was out and considered what had happened to the fluid. Armchair diagnosis was the high pressure hose from pump to rack had gone since this appears to be a regular failure on all hydraulic PAS systems and prepared myself to be robbed by the stealer for a new one.
Anyway, the sun was shining so I thought that I had better check where the pool of red stuff on my drive had come from and to my surprise I could see the fluid dripping from one of the metal pipes that carry fluid from one side of the rack to the other. BMW part 32131096111 that Real OEM says is now discontinued. They only seem to be like flared brake pipes so I will have to get some made up using my rusty ones as a pattern.
The fluid is seeping out of the joint where the bottom of the steering column meets the rack. A few choice swear words and contortions got a flare nut spanner on there only to determine that the connection was not loose so my conclusion was that either the pipe had rusted through or had cracked after 17 years. Either way it is probably a good idea to replace both of these metal pipes when I can summon up enough enthusiasm to unbolt the rack so that I can get to them.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: PAS fluid on the drive

Post by colb »

Old post with problem here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42847&p=397002&hili ... ng#p397002

People get new pipes made by Pirtec http://www.pirtek.co.uk/

If you use Pirtec you will have to remove the pipes and let them make copies with your fittings, use new o rings when refitting.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Thanks Colb but that post appears to relate to the high pressure hose which is the common failure but not the one that is leaking on my car.
That is why it is a surprise.
It is the shorter of the two pipes listed as #4 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 2131096111
They seem to be flared with no o-rings so just like brake pipes really.
The only bind is access so it looks like a rack off job.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I think Pirtec can do the metal pipes as well from what I have read other people have done via them.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Just an update, ready made pipes arrived from Power Steering Store situated between Coventry and Solihull complete with o-rings. I was happy with the inclusive price of £30 for both pipes, four seals and postage and they arrived the following day.
Fitted with only moderate swearing once I found it was much easier by taking out the two rack bolts and pulling that forward slightly.
PAS fluid is now in the reservoir and not on the road! :D
Apologies to colb for doubting that there were o-rings required as these are not shown on realoem but then I guess the part number covers the whole replacement kit but at least the supplier was aware and supplied them.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Good job, glad you sorted it and good to know of another supplier for these pipes.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4