Window washer jets issue

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Window washer jets issue

Post by HighSharpe »

Hello all

I have this issue with the passenger side jets not squirting water, while the driver side does.
This issue showed up in the last MOT , but the mechanic diagnosed it to a clogged pump (the driver side was weak as well) and had it replaced which made it good enough (for him) to pass.

Now the same issue shows up again and I go back to him. The little white elbow/valve inside the bonnet which connects to the black jets outside the bonnet are squirting water off the side inside the engine bay, rather than upwards.

Looking at some past posts on the forum, these need to be ordered off the dealers, but i cant seem to find any online ordering for for coopers or sopers that were mentioned in the past. Could some one point me the right way?

the part number is 61661389040 , and i might need some clamps as well (not sure what part number).

thanks
HS
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Window washer jets issue

Post by colb »

Had to replace my one way valves on mine when it started spraying under the bonnet into the engine bay behind the sound deadening lining. Obtained mine from BMW dealer about £9 per pair.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_0171
Quite why they do this is a mystery but I suspect a rubber flap inside gets hard and lets the water out of a drain hole on the underside of the valve. They just push in to the tubing no clips involved, at least mine didn't have any fitted. Blow through the actual jets in the bonnet or probe them with a needle to make sure they are clear.
Good idea to take the reservoir bottle out and give it a good clean out, often gets a jelly like substance build up inside over the years which causes flow problems.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

thanks colb for the info.

If i may ask - how did you order them? Is there a website or phone number?

thanks.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

I had same problem, just removed the white valves altogether, only difference is it takes a fraction longer for the water to come out.
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

took mine off as well, have encountered no problems, if you do this you will need a short piece off pipe for the drivers side, in fact they work better without the valves
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

If you want replacements call in or phone your local BMW dealer quote the part number and normally they will be available next day for picking up. They will take a payment over the phone usually.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

£9.36 for the pair, ordered a couple from Sopers about 2 weeks ago. Pay over the phone and they will post out to you.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

sorry to resurrect my own old thread, but just wondering if there is a clamp that is supposed to come with this 'elbow' valve? I replaced the offending one (with a new 'oem' one off ebay), but there was no clamp, and some water still squirts out the side of the hose, although the squirt out on to the glass is much stronger now.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

HighSharpe wrote: Sat 11 Aug, 2018 21:54 .....just wondering if there is a clamp that is supposed to come with this 'elbow' valve?
No, there isn't. It is just a push fit.

If it leaks it's probably because the pipe has opened up with age. A small cable tie will be enough to stop the leak.

Mark
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

When you remove any pipe from the washer system you will see that it’s bulbous on the end. Distorted from years sat on the ridge it fits onto. This is what causes leaks from the pipe itself. I tried various types of clip and none helped.

But where there is enough length just cut the bulbous part off. You’ll get a much better fit with the new, clean pipe end. You may still need a clip. I use spring clips that you squeeze in with pliers, release and the outward tensioning of the clip makes a tight fitting. Size 8-9.5mm from memory.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The correct clips are called “clic hose clamps” and there is a special pair of pliers to do and undo them. The clips are quite cheap and the pliers are not to bad either. My pliers are made by draper.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue